[psuedo jazz trio-ish]GR20 004 (mp3)

Started by uncloned, February 13, 2009, 04:20:07

Previous topic - Next topic

uncloned

Using the voices in the Roland GR20 and Sonar 7's Session Drummer

This was the result of two tracks improvised at one take each. The drums are from Sonar's session drummer and triggered by the midi input.

http://clones.soonlabel.com/mp3/gr20-004.mp3

Sam_Zen

Nice pseudo free jazz.
I don't mind bending a piano, but this sax is a bit too often bended in some parts.

uncloned

Interesting pov - bending a piano is much less realistic. Thanks for the listens and comments. The jazz piece was a lot of fun.

Sam_Zen

That's why I find bending a piano more fun. Because a piano can't do this.
On my Casio SK-1 there's a neat piano sound, but there's also portamento effect or vibrato. Both not natural for a piano.
So I use it regularly as an extra means of expression.

uncloned

but then I thought as I ate dinner - does realism have a place in the MUX concept?

So if I play a sax like a guitar or use a less than perfect sitar sample - does it matter? is not the music/sound/intent/communication most important.

When I returned to traxinspace one of the first songs I posted was one that used soundfonts. At the time I did not have garritan personal orchestra so sound fonts were the best I could do. I was very disappointed in a comment from someone who couldn't over look the sample and listen to the music itself. The sample in my mind has no bearing on the composition if one is writing notes in a traditional manner. Of course, an electronic ambient piece is a totally different story.

I'm not saying my sitar piece is great or even worthy - its a stupid improv - but how important the sound is depends on the intent and context.

Sam_Zen

So, as I'm quite late, realism has a place. But more the reality what it appears to be, not what it should be.
Or, as you mention, how it should have been made.
The expression quality of a piece is not directly related to the quality of the used material or method.

uncloned

I agree

the medium is clay - there used to be only certain colored clays - now you can have any color you like.

Sam_Zen

Right on.
Another example is samples. If you got one of a drum, you can make it sound like one with a diameter of 1 cm, or one with a diameter of 2 meters.

psishock

I never really understood the concept of the jazz, so you basically play everything that is coming to your mind with every instrument? This one sounds experimental.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Sam_Zen

You're right, Psi. That's why I called it free jazz. It's a well known genre within jazz.
Ï'm a fan of jazz, but free jazz isn't one of my favourite formats. It's maybe nice to play, but quite hard to listen to.

A classical jazz format is straightforward :
All instruments start to play a theme, having certain chords. The length of this theme is called a chorus.
Then each instrument can have some room, duration one or more choruses, to improvise on these chords.
And the piece is closed with playing the main theme again.

psishock

i see, now i'm having a clearer picture about the classical and modern ways.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

uncloned

Yes, free jazz - its something my band mates and I used to do - but in a (70's) heavy metal rock idiom.

Its the 4th piece I did with the Roland GR20 - I was having a bit of fun :-)

Thanks for the listen!