About upping the old tracks...

Started by Nahkranoth, February 11, 2009, 12:20:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Nahkranoth

Suppose you guys have some old tracks you think worth uploading just for fun and some partially useful talking about. Would you ever upload them even though they are poorly mixed, hastily composed blablaba wobble wobble and all that crap, though you like some ideas and wish to update/finish those tracks someday?
Or you listen to them so often that you think it's so cool to be shared with others?

P.S. I was listening to old tracks by JoJo and I think it was worth the time just for "The Dark Forest" theme. It is so cool to my ears unlike the others "tarnce" tracks made by JoJo :D

Saga Musix

I make tracne? Never thought so.... :lol:
I actually wanted to set up my old SoundBlaster PCI 128 again just to listen to the original "Dark Forest" theme, which does not work on any other soundcard, because the OPL chip on the PCI 128 was kinda screwed up... The module version sounds so squalid. :P
And yes, I have most of my older tunes at my beloved ModArchive... :)

Oh, and it's "Jojo", not "JoJo". Or "saga", for that matter. :P
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Nahkranoth

Umm, sorry Jojo, I can't tell between tarnce/dance/schmance, and sorry for that capital letter, if it makes the difference. I have bad photographic memory, gotta make them notes :oops:
And, you haven't answered my question :twisted:
Besides, I can't call you "saga", you're not 2000 yrs old for that matter :D
[EDIT] Tried to render your OPL track thru emulator? I like those ancient sounds  :P

psishock

QuoteWould you ever upload them even though they are poorly mixed, hastily composed blablaba wobble wobble and all that crap
I've started composing for fun literary from about ~1998 till nowdays, but i wouldn't dare to upload any of the "early years" stuff (mayb once for the laugh), i am sooo picky about quality and those ones are _really_ poorly mixed, mostly because the lack of technical knowledge and experience. Oh, and i've used _samples_ to compose them (blasphemy!). :D
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Saga Musix

Nahkranoth: unfortunately, this is not possible, because OPL emulators tend to be rather compatible to the original OPL chip and not to faulty implementations (which the SB 128 had, I believe).

I have hundreds of unfinished tracks, but they're all just a few patterns, nothing worth uploading. :P
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Saga Musix

And while we're at it: Here's a clip of a small tune I'm currently working on. It may jsut RIP on my hard disk like all the other ones, but who knows... :P

Sam_Zen

Some things may be oldskool, but if the idea or the programming behind it is strong enough, it will stay up, despite poor mixing.
Still juts a clip, Jojo, but it can be looped perfectly.

Saga Musix

Since it's unfinished, it's not supposed to be a perfect loop anyway. :D

Saga Musix

Maybe my memory is just bad, or I don't recall the original version of "Dark Forest" correctly. This is maybe how it was supposed to sound:
The Dark Forest
It sounds like the AdLib is emulated through MIDI Instruments.

And while we're at it, you may also like the ingame tunes from my game Dungeon 2...

Sam_Zen

Darkforest is a perfect loop too.
So, while we're at it, concerning games, I converted Wondering by Robert Prince, derived from Wolf3D.

As far as publication of old stuff is concerned (the basic tracker file, no mix to mp3, etc.):
I've added a few 'oldskool' lately on this forum, but I think my database is quite complete now, and can be found here
Another part of my archive are oldskool compositions by others.
To be found at part one and part two

Nahkranoth

Quote from: "psishock"i wouldn't dare to upload any of the "early years" stuff (mayb once for the laugh), i am sooo picky about quality and those ones are _really_ poorly mixed, mostly because the lack of technical knowledge and experience. Oh, and i've used _samples_ to compose them (blasphemy!). :D
Man, you haven't heard Skaven's _really old_ 4 channel tracks then, now THAT'S a blasphemy :D
Would you believe that to make an instrument sound louder I used distortion?  :D I was such a n00b back then... (BTW it was not so long ago, 2005 if my memory serves me right)
Besides, uploading just for the laugh is another purpose of this thread :oops:

[EDIT]
Quote from: "Jojo"unfortunately, this is not possible, because OPL emulators tend to be rather compatible to the original OPL chip and not to faulty implementations (which the SB 128 had, I believe)
Maybe Adlibtracker under DOSbox can help?

Jojo: Wow, your Adlib version of "Dark Forest" sounds so nostalgic, I'm gonna cry :lol: Dungeon tunes have that oldskool SNES or Ultima feeling, gonna cry again :crybaby:
Sam_Zen: There are some fun tunes in Wolf3D, march for instance.

Nahkranoth

Pestis
Here's my very first *cough* track recorded. Sounds used are taken from Blood2. I was just learning some basics with MPT, thought it was worth keeping for the next generations :D

Verhovyna
Got this ukrainian folk melody playing in my head for days. It's short but fun (I hope).

Stupid march
And this one was created when I came home drunk like an arse. I could barely see what's going on on the screen but somehow managed to put this together. Again short as bug's life, 1:30
I have a feeling that I borrowed that theme somewhere. It's worrying me for years :?

Saga Musix

QuoteMaybe Adlibtracker under DOSbox can help?
I think you don't get the problem. First of all, those tunes have been made in "FM Tracker" for QBasic, so AT won't help here. Also, as said, the tunes were made on the SB 128 which did not have real (or faulty) OPL support, so they sound different on any other standard-compliant OPL hardware.

Nahkranoth