MODPlug Wiki Article

Started by Saga Musix, February 01, 2009, 15:44:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

Just like the article of MilktyTracker (which has been deleted several times already) or XMPlay (which has been deleted half a year ago), the article about MODPlug is maybe going to be deleted at some point. If someone feels like saving the article about our nice tracker, can you help fixing and extending it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ModPlug_Tracker
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

maleek

I read the discussion over at the talk page. I don't understand why they would want to pull the article?

Btw:
Wasn't Modplug the first Windows tracker out there? That would make a very good addition to the wiki-article if it were.

Saga Musix

Yeah, but that's not very "notable" in the eyes of a wikipedian.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

it's not up to date, but has some links and doesn't do any harm. why delete it ?

Saga Musix

Well, if they accepted any article, Wikipedia would be really bloated. So they try to delete articles about "not so important stuff" - which openMPT really is _not_ IMO.

psishock

I guess it's the standard story Sam, the servers are not free, they needs a lot of maintenance, they are keeping only the "valuable" information. If they think something is not notable enough, they will just trash it like they did many times in the past.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Sam_Zen

Yep, I understand. If it's part of maintenance, then it's more acceptable.

maleek

Still, I would think that if any tracker should be part of Wikipedia (and why should it not?). Then Modplug Tracker is up there with FT2, Impulse Tracker Renoise and Buzz. It has been part of an important cultural movement that is every bit as important as music written by traditional bands.

Relabsoluness

At the beginning the complaint was that there wasn't 3rd party reference. After someone added reference to magazine, where Modplug Tracker was listed among the 'Top Trackers', the complaint changed to not being significant enough, along with explanation in essence that no matter how popular, it's not 'notable' if not having significant coverage.

A reference: Modplug player used in apparently notable demoparty (link) as a mod-competition player.

Sam_Zen

QuoteWasn't Modplug the first Windows tracker out there?
Nope. I tried Mod4Win shortly, in 3.11.. A buggy disaster.

QuoteIt has been part of an important cultural movement
You've got a strong point there. Tracking is a very specific way of composing contemporary music, with its ow rules and tools. So it definitely should stay mentioned in a Wiki.
I agree, that this article is quite outdated. The MP player is an archive thing.
And it needs more data about the developments of OMPT.
So, if someone writes some more lines on this page, it will not be wiped ?

Saga Musix

Sam: Mod4Win is not a tracker, though.

Sam_Zen

It isn't ? Well, I tried to forget about 3.11 anyway.. :)

Saga Musix

From what I know, it was a mod player, wasn't it? That's also what the wiki article says.

Sam_Zen

maleek

Maybe the cultural argument could "work" on the Wiki-people? I don't have an account over there, but someone else could perhaps mention that to them. There are still big demo-parties around where people enter compos with tracked modules.