"ModPlug 2.0"

Started by Saga Musix, January 26, 2009, 13:40:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

I strongly support efforts to keep things accessible for screen readers.

Diamond

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"I strongly support efforts to keep things accessible for screen readers.

Thanks Sam_Zen.  Although I do most definitely consider myself a power user, you have no idea how frustrating it can be even for me sometimes just knowing how much great software is available that I simply can't use do to accessibility related issues.  Screen reading software has come a long way and most of the well known packages include advanced scripting languages which can assist in making some applications more accessible, but nonstandard Windows interfaces and controls (especially those based on bitmap graphics) will probably continue to be a problem for the foreseeable future.

Sam_Zen

A friend of mine from Finland, almost blind, has written about and programmed things concerning accessability.
Here's his site : http://vtatila.kapsi.fi/
And he wrote recommendations for the GUI of VST : GUI rules.

Saga Musix

About VST GUIs: Keeping them as simple is not only good for those who are disabled, but for anyone. I'd prefer if VSTs didn't use graphical GUIs at all, except when it's not possible in another way (like if you need a visual keyboard or something like that).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Nahkranoth

Quote from: "Jojo"I'd prefer if VSTs didn't use graphical GUIs at all
Phew, gladly it's not that way :D though you can always use host's default GUI
But keeping the GUI as simple as possible is +1.

bvanoudtshoorn

@Jojo: I disagree with that! I find that a well designed GUI, in which things are logically grouped and use appropriate controls, is nearly always than any default VST GUI I've ever seen. :)

Diamond

Quote from: "bvanoudtshoorn"@Jojo: I disagree with that! I find that a well designed GUI, in which things are logically grouped and use appropriate controls, is nearly always than any default VST GUI I've ever seen. :)

Yes, however for the sake of accessibility, I believe that a compromise could be made if more VST authors were willing.  A well designed GUI could be coded which would be visually appealing, efficient and accessible all at the same time.

bvanoudtshoorn

Yes, I agree with you absolutely, Diamond.

Saga Musix

I didn't say that any custom GUI is bad. But I'm fed up with those super colourful "turn the knobs by turning around your mouse" GUIs. And there's too many of them, because people don't know how to make a proper GUI.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Nahkranoth

So, Jojo, what's your example of perfect GUI?

Sam_Zen

Often it's the other way around. People put a lot of effort in the looks of a GUI, searching for the best imitation of certain material, etc., and too little time in the actual functionality behind it, so deliver sloppy programming.

Saga Musix

I don't think there's something like a perfect GUI. But plugins that are intuitive and easy to handle, like the Electri-Q EQ, or the Classic series, are generally a good thing.

Nahkranoth

Quote from: "Jojo"I don't think there's something like a perfect GUI. But plugins that are intuitive and easy to handle, like the Electri-Q EQ, or the Classic series, are generally a good thing.

Sorry, I was asking about some synth GUI, not the effect. But I can agree with you here, Electri-Q has very intuitive GUI. Don't even want to think how it would look with knobs :shock:
My example of eq's GUI would be ReaFIR.

Saga Musix

I was indeed not talking about the effect, but the GUI.

doveraudio

modular fx routing... mmmmm. perhaps with this i'd be able to figure out how to sidechain in modplug easier.... and use midi effects.. since i'd hope that the plugin icons would also allow for midi routing as well as free (unidirectional) audio routing....

how about per sample (or up to per key) envelopes for instruments, and on that same note, sample layering per note. this can easily be done by just adding more notes... (i do A LOT of drum mapping with iti's) - but a buzzkill is a buzzkill... having a sub kick, frame drum, and phat clicky kick all layered when i drop in the instrument would be teh best.

and maybe i'm slow but is there an easy way to add some swing to the drum channels... i try messing with note delay.. but it seems that there should be an easier way... that sounds less noticeable.. i could make a vst sampler that would apply variable delays in the range of a few samples to the gate - but i don't have a way to use iti in vst anyway... so pfft.

and on te interface topic.....
theres this - http://www.gtkmm.org/ - for gtk+ and c++... and they've got this http://glade.gnome.org/ - to help make the interface...

i'd think that the natural choice for openmodplug would be adding better modularity and a more modular interface.... to have the intrument tab open and the tracker at the same time floating would be sweet... also to have a "plugin toybox" for routing would be so good.... . (gtk is skinnable right?) cause that would be AWESOME!![/quote]

quick edit - i don't see why the current fx routing system couldn't be tweaked a bit so's to allow for multi-i/o plugs and more straight forward midi routing of midi fx and cc controllers - a midi route dialog and perhaps an i/o tree view with dialogs for branches.... (allright.. probably not..  but theres gotta be a better way to vocode in modplug.... and somebody mentioned a request to record in modplug... i think hell yeah - we should totally be able to do that..... )