"ModPlug 2.0"

Started by Saga Musix, January 26, 2009, 13:40:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

Things that came to my mind that should be traced for further development (no schedule ready yet :P), you should know some of them already:
- Moving away from MFC to GTK, wxWidgets or QT
- A seperate "Plugin" tab where you can freely route VST inputs and outputs with visual support <- Multi-In / Multi-Out support for VST plugins could be implemented easily
- Drawing samples (DONE!)
- New icons (we have a new icon set already)
- A file format similar to the Renoise format.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Rakib

- Extra tab for in-line recording or have it in the instrument-tab.
- Better support of midi-keyboard.
^^

Saga Musix

Please define "Better support of midi-keyboard".
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Rakib

Don't mind my post, I thought it was a post for feature requests for OMPT 2.0. I think it would be better suited to be lcated where feature request are placed.

I suggest this place would be better if you developers discuss what features you're planning to add to the next version of OMPT. And what to skip and so on.
^^

Saga Musix

I won't dare to post feature requests for things that are _far away_ in the feature request section. Those are rather milestones that we should reach at some point, whenever that is...

bvanoudtshoorn

You'd probably find it a lot easier to move to wxWindows rather than QT or GTK. Bear in mind also that GTK is tailored for C projects, and QT for C++ projects (AFAIK). I certainly do look forward to moving away from MFC, though. :)

Saga Musix

Well, I don't look out for any alternative (yet)... :P
Who knows if there's something completely different coming up when we decide to swtich? :D

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "bvanoudtshoorn"wxWindows
It's nowadays called wxWidgets (http://wxwidgets.org/). For example Audacity uses it.

anboi

what about plugin delay compensation? is that a huge 2.0, waaay in the future thing or is it something i could stick in the current feature requests without being embarassingly demanding?   :wink:
here's a nice paper i found on implementing a generalised solution: http://www.musicdsp.org/files/pdc.pdf
apart from % per-channel effect sending it's the only thing i personally think modplug absolutely needs.

Saga Musix

I heard the implemented that in Renoise 2.0. I don't really know anything about it, though.

psishock

They did Jojo, with a lot of cool features like multiple vst routing, LPB (lines per beat) and Delay Column, but i'll stick with the 1.9.1 version at the moment. I haven't got any significant delay trouble that would bother me.

Here is the 2.0 changelist if anyone is interested:
http://downloads.renoise.com/Renoise2.0_new_features.pdf

I would personally like to c stretching and shrinking the automation envelopes, together with support to use linear slides and points together in 1 automation envelope. Now those are features that would make me switch to new version instantly.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Jojo"- Moving away from MFC to GTK, wxWidgets or QT
or WxWidgets. Sounds nice, but facing the realities doesn't make sticking with MFC sound bad (at least for the time being).

Some things I would like to add to the todo list:
-Merge ITP functionality to MPTM and improve its functionality.
-Make OpenMPT specific extensions optional; nowadays it's very difficult to say what one can use so that also other players play the module right.

Saga Musix

Well, as the topic indicates, those aren't top priority things right now, but things that should seriously be considered in future development. Whenever that may be. :) I like your ideas btw.

maleek

Quote- A seperate "Plugin" tab where you can freely route VST inputs and outputs with visual support <- Multi-In / Multi-Out support for VST plugins could be implemented easily

That would make my day! :) Or say year and I think we would be more on the mark. :P

Saga Musix

I thought about how to make a proper plugin tab, what do you think of this?