[ classical jazz fusion] daily20081226 (mp3)

Started by uncloned, December 27, 2008, 04:14:20

Previous topic - Next topic

uncloned

This had its genesis in improvising on the Korg MS2000 using 17ET on Garritan Personal Orchestra's piano along with a drum loop. I recorded the midi and edited the drums, some edits of the improvisation (ripped out 6 ugly, ugly measures and quantized the ending which got way out of time.) Then I threw in contratuba, tuba, bass trombone, and french horn.

17 ET was surprisingly easy to work with excepting that span of 6 measures which I couldn't save.

http://clones.soonlabel.com/mp3/daily20081226-17et.mp3

Harbinger

Notes as i'm listening:

Needs more rhythmic elements, like rhythm guitar, or Latin percussion. Drums are WAY in the background, which dilutes the rhythmic element even more. Bass horns should definitely be countered by instruments in higher registers, and at some point, should step aside to let other instruments make their voices heard, an important element in jazz. Off-key elements don't work unless properly transitioned or set up. Rework the bass line so he has his own say. All-in-all has the creative potential, but needs to be nurtured thru better composition. Especially at the end (it sounds like you didn't finish it!).

uncloned

Thanks for the listen.

oddly the mix sounded good on my bose headphones but not on my ear buds. 2nd time today that has happened with one of my pieces.... this may be a problem as what you are saying is quite correct.

Since this piece is in 17 notes per octave tuning it limits the instruments to what I have that can use that tuning. guitar is not an option.  I'm not sure I'd agree that a "typical" arrangement would suit this piece.

I wanted the piece to be mostly in the low register because I like the way the harmonies feel in my ears. It also sounds well with just drums and the original Steinway piano.

as for the end, certainly it petered out. that happens often with an improvisation.

Harbinger

Quote from: "uncloned"Since this piece is in 17 notes per octave tuning it limits the instruments to what I have that can use that tuning.

Okay that explains the notes that sounded off-key or detuned. Any reason for that kind of tuning? (Purely experimental?)

Quote from: "uncloned"I wanted the piece to be mostly in the low register because I like the way the harmonies feel in my ears. It also sounds well with just drums and the original Steinway piano.

If you like it, don't change it on my advice. I can critique either as a listener or as a composer. The listener side of me wants more with this. The composer side of me says if it's good with you, it's good with me -- don't ruin the inspiration.... :wink:

uncloned

I've been playing with different tunings looking for new types of harmonic languages. So I've posted efforts in 17, 22, and 24 notes per octave as well as Wendy Carlos' Alpha tuning which does not have octaves. Experimental? I guess almost all music composition for me is experimental since I get bored easily unless I feel like writing a ballad or something.

I appreciate your recommendations. I think I will remix the percussion and post again. It does sound really weak on my ear buds.

uncloned

psishock

imo, a lot better with enhanced drums. Your tunings are mostly sounds strange and unfamiliar to my ears, but i can't really say that they are bad. In fact, most of the times they sound even cool. Keep on experimenting.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

uncloned

Thanks for the listen and the open mind. I find that microtonal tunings take a bit of doing to get over the "it doesn't sound normal" feeling but once I did it opened a whole new world for me. I lot of people just reject it outright without really listening.

OPEN MPT can do all of the tunings I've used if one uses samples. (I don't think it works with VSTi's)