[orchestral] strings 22 H (mp3) Vaisvil Harrington Rice

Started by uncloned, December 22, 2008, 05:46:04

Previous topic - Next topic

uncloned

http://clones.soonlabel.com/mp3/str22h2008.mp3

This piece was written in collaboration with Evan Harrington and Carol Rice.
Evan contributed melodic fragments and the addition of bassoon, timpani, and trombone.
Carol contributed the "bouncy" string melodic fragments.

Originally this was composed with the midi FM synthesized sound set.
I'm still trying to beat it into shape with Garritan Personal Orchestra but have gone as far as I can for now.

I hope you find it enjoyable.

Nahkranoth

While listening i've got a feeling that it could be used as some sci-fi soundtrack, can't explain why. And there are some parts that give me goosebumps :D tho I can't say that I like big orchestrations, in this case mainly because it is not so melodic as I'd like.

uncloned

Thanks for the listen!

To be sure melodies are not my strong point. I work harmonies better,

Nahkranoth

Quote from: "uncloned"I work harmonies better,
Oh yeah! I was blown away by your "Enigma" and first part of "Quarter picnic". Maybe I'd like the others but man, you are too productive, there are too many of them to digest :D

uncloned

I'd be glad to give you the midi for Enigma if you'd like.

I use harmonies built on 5ths and 4ths (among other things).

One of the techniques that worked was using 4 or 5 notes in order taken from the melody and using them as chords.

Thanks for listening and liking the work. It doesn't matter how many you listen to.

I should have the midi for quarter picnic to give you as well if you'd like.

Nahkranoth

Thanks, but MIDI is not necessary, OMPT can't handle midifiles the proper way. Not that I can't recreate notes by ear, but my head just can't generate such complex harmonies, and if it did, it still would not fit into ideas that I have (you know, funerals, metal and stuff).

uncloned

Well, I would disagree with you there. I think metal lends itself to harmonies using stacked 5ths and 4ths.

but ok.

Nahkranoth

Quote from: "uncloned"Well, I would disagree with you there. I think metal lends itself to harmonies using stacked 5ths and 4ths.
but ok.
I meant something really complex. There are no problems with fifths.

uncloned

have you tried a fifth over your fifth?

It is a bit of a stretch on guitar but can be done

g-d-a

it sounds nice.

Nahkranoth

Not quite metal, but I missed that one LOL :lol: I'm still learning...

uncloned

How about

low F,C, F

its a Tony Iommi thing - 4th with a 5th on top. It can sound heavy.