Filter

Started by Harbinger, November 30, 2008, 16:59:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Harbinger

With a little searching i found that i had posted this before, but embedded it in another group of requests. So at the risk of ticking off admin for bringing up old subjects, i felt it was important to bump it and give it its own topic.

One of the best tools we could have is a Filter where we can search and replace/delete any data based on channel, row, instrument, sample, note attributes (like the tone or duration, for example), note FX (like key velocity or portamento), or instrument/channel FX (like Txx tempo changes or the Zxx macros). The filter we have is good, but it needs an upgrade to give us more choices.

For example, what if i want to shift the Kick Bass at row 5 to row 7, but only in pattern 1-15 and 19-22? Perhaps i have a slow volume increase with vxx note FX (in the 3rd column), and i'd like to thin out the data (so that duplicate volume (vxx) data is erased) so i can introduce other note FX (like axx or oxx). What if need to change from the key of D to Db (or C#) but only in rows 24-31 for instruments 4, 7, and 9, for patterns 50-53? OTOH, just select them (discontiguous data), and i'll change them manually while the patterns play so i can hear where they would best sound?

The implementation of this (at least as far as the selecting process) can best be accomplished by creating a variable that stores what data fields are selected, in the form of a list of the data fields (rather than a range). This would allow for discontiguous data to be selected.
Shifting data is basically an automated cut-and-paste. Thinning data will require a function that searches the same data from the previous row. Key changes require asking the user if it should be a chromatic transposition (where the selected notes are confined to only the notes of a key) or a tonal transposition (where the selected notes are altogether shifted up or down according to the key's relation to C).

This i'm sure would require a little work, but i think it's not a heavy dose of time to implement (this coming from a non-programmer! ::) ).

psishock

Quote from: "Harbinger"This i'm sure would require a little work, but i think it's not a heavy dose of time to implement
Yet another wrapped "this is easy to do" statement? You know that our dear developers just love those. :lol:
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Saga Musix

grrrrr, yes we do!
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

bvanoudtshoorn

I think that what we *really* need are regular expressions, expanded to work in two dimensions. :P

Seriously, though, this could be good, but I think that you'd have to be very careful to not make the dialog too complex -- you want it to still be possible to do the 'simple' queries easily.

Harbinger

You're right, but that relies on a good GUI. How many prorgrams have we seen that were VERY flexible, but that were so complicated you needed a manual for the simple things...

As a former programmer, i can see that this feature would be easy logically but the hard part would be the GUI. :?

Saga Musix

I suppose this thread can be moved to the archive then?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

Is it possible to move my last post only to the Technical Section, and archive the rest?

Saga Musix

Ok, the original post has been cut out and moved to the tech docs.