[drum and bass] digital sentience (mp3, it) < 100kb

Started by xaimus, November 23, 2008, 19:12:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

Long time no see, xaimus.
This is a strong piece, I enjoyed it.
Is it some contest boundary, this 100 kb ?

xaimus

yeah, 100kb is the maximum file size in the competition

Saga Musix

» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Nahkranoth

Quote from: "Jojo"awesome stuff. hard to believe this is 100k.
+1, or even "адинадин"!
Man, this is another stone to the edifice of MPT's glory!
In other words: you once again proved that MPT is ideal for breakbeat :welldone:

psishock

great d&b piece xaimus!
I hate restriction rules :D, we had been very limited on trackers so many years (both, processing power and software). Now, that we have fairly unlimited possibilities, people are desiring for limitations again. :lol:
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Sam_Zen

2 psishock
Well, one could see it as a challenge of one's skills.
Never felt limited on trackers that much, I had a drive of my own to make files as small as possible anyway.
Now, with the almost unlimited possibilities, I think sometimes it goes far beyond the other way, having a file of >200 MB for a piece of 2:30..

psishock

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"I think sometimes it goes far beyond the other way, having a file of >200 MB for a piece of 2:30..
There you go, one of the main disadvantages of the rendered samples :), one of the reasons why should the sound stay in its synthetical form. But ~200mb/song can still be alright when you have a bigger HDD, and you just need/love to work with samples.
My OMPT songs are taking nowdays about 300-700kb space. Renoise seems to be able to compress the stuff even more, because it manages to store the same things in 100-200kb (samples aren't involved in both cases).

Saga Musix

you surely sound like you can't do good music without your "pro-VSTis". :P
i love small mods, and those restrictions make them even cooler. showing what you can do in 64k or 100k is awesome, many tunes sound so much better than you expect them to sound.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

psishock

Quote from: "Jojo"you surely sound like you can't do good music without your "pro-VSTis".
:insert proud looking psi smiley here: :D I could of course, like i did for many years, but my job is much-much more easier and the possibilities are more "wider" now that i've discovered the technology. It's not just about "my personal pro-VSTis", but with most VSTis and VSTs in general. Think about it, if you got sample, you are mostly "stuck" with the given sound. You can't finetune or reshape it totally for your needs. Also the sample will mostly sound exactly the same every time you will play it, but the VSTi can be dynamic and can change the structure of the sound with every new note (or time based). That could give a much more "living" experience to the listener.
Don't get me wrong, i love the cool small (and even the big) mods too, and highly value the creative tracking skills from any person. But personally i'm just more like a freedom friendly tracker, than a (strict) restriction lover. And i am far from disregarding the sample usage, just not preferring it recently.

Sam_Zen

Quote from: "Jojo"many tunes sound so much better than you expect them to sound.
One of the reasons why I could keep the trackers small was the fact, that I could use even 22 kHz samples, without losing evident quality in the result, because OMPT appeared to have an excellent subsampling algoritm.

uncloned

this is really good

and the coding very impressive. It was cool to watch it play in Open MPT
editor

How did you keep the drum tempo the same when the pattern was shrunk and slowed down?

I didn't see any loops... so I am mystified and really impressed.

Saga Musix

QuoteHow did you keep the drum tempo the same when the pattern was shrunk and slowed down?
uh... isn't that quite "normal"? The drums are chipped so if the tempo is high, there's more space between the single notes than when it's slowed down. i don't see a need for loops here.

uncloned

I'm sorry - the explanation doesn't make sense to me

I'm no a good module coder

what I saw was that the pattern visibly slows (to half speed or less) and the incidence of notes do not increase...

so how can the percussion tempo be the same?

Saga Musix

solo channel 1 on patterns 13/14 and you'll see... hopefully. :P