(Split) MPT Compo! :D

Started by psishock, November 14, 2008, 23:56:15

Previous topic - Next topic

psishock

Quote from: "xaimus"recording seems cleaner
Oh, so you are working with live instruments and samples? That explains it, you will surely get cleaner sounding with increased bitrates.

Quote from: "xaimus"plus it helps me sleep easier at night
My dad is telling me this all the time also! :o Now i'm totally tempted to try out the effects of the higher bitrates to human body. The technology nowdays is fascinating indeed.

Quote from: "Jojo"i'm using 32 bit for a long time now. i don't think that ASIO does even support anything else.
I don't have other experiences, but i'm on 16 bit, 48khz, and ASIO works in OMPT and Renoise also, perfectly.

Quote from: "Jojo"listen to the module version of "late-night compo" and solo the lead. at 44khz, you'll hear awful noisy artifacts when it goes into the high octaves, that doesn't happen at 96khz.
Hmm, did listened now both in 44100, 48000, 96000, i am experiencing every time those artifacts in high frequencies (in both trackers), but less and less as i go up in bitrates (the artifact is almost gone in 96khz). Can it be because of the poor sample quality in the first place? (this came to mi mind because i don't experience any artifacts with VSTi-s even on 44100 and very high frequencies) Maybe 96khz is giving some more antialising to the sample, and the overall sounding experience is better that way?

edit: i tried it with various resampling methods. It gets quite better with resampling (Polyphase seems to play it best), so i'm assuming it has to be the sample.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Saga Musix

polyphase is required, yes. and of course this doesn't happen with VSTis or other samples. this sample is just extremely high-freq.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

psishock

Quotethis sample is just extremely high-freq.
bah, it's not about how high freq is the sample :D, it's all about resolution, i mean look at this (puls-wave sample of yours):

:D

älskling

Sorry for going on-topic here... but... the theme for this alleged compo is "who can produce the more techy sound"? if so, what does that even mean? how will we judge? is post production allowed? VSTs? file format? we need RULES or we will SUCCUMB TO CHAOS!!!!!! And we don't want that. Or do we? I'm confused.

psishock

Quote from: "älskling"Sorry for going on-topic here
apologies accepted :D

Don't be confused :), you see, this is more like a "preparation" for our theoretical compo, which is afaik still haven't "officially" started. I'll try to tell my thoughts about your questions:

-how will we judge? voting..perhaps? :? that sounds ok to me.
-is post production allowed? You mean edit a production of someone else? Not likely imo.
-VSTs? But of course, how can you truly "create" your own sound when you're heavily restricted to pregenerated (samples) ones?
-file format? hmmm mp3? .it or other formats may be trouble because of the VSTs or if any other external hardware is used.

I'll try to think about it tomorrow, what should this exactly look like. Some 0:30-2:00min variable and creative sound demonstrating compo with a few day deadline (dunno, a week should be enough imo) sounds fun to me. It should be without any percussion, just pure, interesting synthetic sounds, one followed and blended by another or something. It's best to listen to other ideas as well. I think we could easily setup something like this tho'.
With the introduction of VSTs to the compo, this will be perhaps kinda wide range of sounding and style, but what matters more to me is to hear some very creative sounding ideas, rather than some actual "winning".

älskling

Quote from: "psishock"-is post production allowed? You mean edit a production of someone else? Not likely imo.
I meant export to wav and edit in other application (possibly on a channel or instrument level)

Quote from: "psishock"-VSTs? But of course, how can you truly "create" your own sound when you're heavily restricted to pregenerated (samples) ones?
By making your own samples?

psishock

Quote from: "älskling"I meant export to wav and edit in other application (possibly on a channel or instrument level)
Oh, that sounds fair enough. Although it would be more interesting if you could squeeze every work in the tracker (as you do, i guess, when you're making music), but if some external work is really needed to get the wanted sounding, sure.
Quote from: "älskling"By making your own samples?
Sure :D, it should not matter if you "convert" your sound to sample. I can't really see the benefits of this if you're using VSTi or external synths (there could be some of course), but it can be a help if you plan to record some live sounds. Anyway, i would like this compo to stay as a synthetic one, so some wood scraping, glass jiggling, towel brandishing or similar recorded sounds should be out of the question. :D

Saga Musix

I would strongly vote against using VSTs, but instead for a non-fixed sample set. That way, you can prove that you really can handle MPT. :P (nothing against certain persons here who refuse to use samples, but what's a tracking compo about if you can do just the same in any sequencer? :P)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

I would vote strongly for using VSTs. Just be able to hand out the source IT if people become suspicious, even if anyone can't play it due to not having that commercial VSTi, the notes will be the proof.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

psishock

Quote from: "Jojo"but what's a tracking compo about if you can do just the same in any sequencer?
Partially that is the point. :D My philosophy is that the trackers are at same "level" today as the highly praised sequencers, just using different logic.
As far as i can tell, this compo will be more focused on the actual sounding, than the composition so i wouldn't just call it "tracking compo". There are many ways where one can prove his mad tracking skills, but this one will be kinda different. It will test the "sound generating" ones, i am curious about that side of the people now. =)

bvanoudtshoorn

Quote from: "Jojo"I would strongly vote against using VSTs, but instead for a non-fixed sample set. That way, you can prove that you really can handle MPT. :P (nothing against certain persons here who refuse to use samples, but what's a tracking compo about if you can do just the same in any sequencer? :P)

:O

One of the strengths of OpenMPT is the very fact that it can handle VSTs, whilst still being a tracker. I would say that the ability to use VSTs must rank just as high as being able to use samples. IMO. Nothing against people who choose not to use VSTs, or haven't yet tried, though.

(I think I should also clarify: I don't 'refuse' to use OpenMPT's sample playback facilities, per se, I just prefer the much gruntier abilities of Kontakt. :D)

älskling

Quote from: "psishock"Anyway, i would like this compo to stay as a synthetic one, so some wood scraping, glass jiggling, towel brandishing or similar recorded sounds should be out of the question. :D
I'm not sure I can track without towel brandishing...

how about a christmas compo?

bvanoudtshoorn

Quote from: "älskling"how about a christmas compo?

I like this idea...

psishock

Quote from: "älskling"how about a christmas compo?
This came quite sudden, but it can be interesting, unfold your idea with some details. =)

Quote from: "älskling"I'm not sure I can track without towel brandishing...
See, see? I knew you couldn't live without that highly favored, wet towel brandishing sound of yours. The right approach would be, to try guessing how could you reproduce that sound with synthetic waveshapes and DSP effects.

älskling

well, everyone (who wants to) makes a christmas inspired tune, then we vote on which one is most christmassy.

this always ends up in some confusion as christmas is celebrated differently in different parts of the world, but cultural exchange is a good thing.

ctg used to have those, alternating between covers and original compositions but that all seems to be over now...

my dream compo would be one focusing on humour and sung lyrics, not minding the technical parts that much. it's important not to forget: you can't spell FUNKY without FUN! (I just made that up, clever innit?)