[Pop/Rock] Odyssey (MP3)

Started by bvanoudtshoorn, October 03, 2008, 13:12:31

Previous topic - Next topic

bvanoudtshoorn

Click here to download

Back in the day, when I was sixteen, I wrote a track named "Odyssey", using Modplug Tracker. It was, to be honest, awful. If I feel particularly nasty, I might even upload it here later. Anyway, three years later I revisited it, and made a much better version. Which was also awful. I might also upload it. :) And now, some years later still, I've once again revisited that old track, and this is the result.

I added in a lot for this version - the original had, as its melody, only the first four bars you hear in the flute of this track; it had no bridge, no refrain, nothing. One chord progression, one melody, repeated endlessly with minor variations for a few minutes. Hopefully this is somewhat better.

There are still a few mixing issues with this track - I can hear my ear bias in the panning, and some of the instruments aren't quite sitting right. But I've had enough of fiddling with it for the moment - if I get a chance, I'll fix it up in the not-too-distant future.

Anyway. That's probably the longest spiel I've written about one of my tracks before, so if you've read up to here, congratulations! :D Let me know what you think of the track - feedback, criticism, and insults are, as always, welcome and appreciated.

Coverart:

Sam_Zen

This is about the production of a piece.
In this case I would have given the flute sound a bit more emphasis on the L channel, as opposed to the piane at the R channel.

Nahkranoth

Heh, I wish my old (and new too) tunes sounded so good!

bvanoudtshoorn

@Sam_Zen: I think you're right. The balance of the piece is off. I might have a fiddle with it, and make the flute more prominent in the left and the piano less so in the right, as you suggest. Thanks for the tip! :)

@Nahkranoth: :D Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it.

Nahkranoth

Quote from: "bvanoudtshoorn"@Nahkranoth: :D Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it.
Not that I said something meaningful and constructive :D
I've been a litle pessimistic about myself lately so everyone may disregard those stupid posts and comments :lol:
Now to your track:
I usually have time to listen when going to/from my workplace and I'm using my mobile for this purpose so can't tell exactly about the panning. The only thing it lacks is some development, but you already stated that it's repetitive, so I can say that overall it is the track of fine quality.
The only thing that bothers me is: what it has to do with rock? I can tell the rock thing by overdriven\distorted guitars. Maybe I'm missing something?

bvanoudtshoorn

Well, the reason I called it "pop/rock" is that it's got the electric guitars, as you noted, and also because it's got a very "rock" verse/chorus/bridge structure. Which pop music also has. Hmm. :/ I guess I labelled it pop/rock because of the guitars, then. :D

uncloned

In spirit I find myself being reminded of one of my favorite early mods
http://modarchive.org/module.php?48713

London Flight - no idea who made it.

Back to your piece:

I like the drum work very much. I think the track would be great with vocals. As it stands it only the drums really grab my attention as a lead instrument despite the fact that you do have flute, piano, etc. The mix in general is too homogenized for my taste - for instance the guitar is masked so much it doesn't add much in the way of power.

bvanoudtshoorn

@Clones: Hmm, I downloaded "London Flight", and I can definitely hear what you mean. It's not a bad mod, that one. :)

I'm glad you like the drums - one of the things I love most about writing pop/rock tracks is that I get to play with drums. It's always fun. :D I can definitely see what you mean about the mix being too "homogenised" - is part of the problem perhaps that the strings are too loud, and just "wash" everything out? Re: guitar, that's one of my weaknesses. I just don't understand the instrument particularly well. One of these days, I'll get my brother (who's a fantastic guitarist) to lay down the guitar line in my tracks.

Thanks for the listen! :)

Sam_Zen

Quite interesting. Would one call it rock because it sounds like rock, or because the piece has a rock verse/chorus/bridge structure.

Harbinger

Quick notes as i listen...

Cross between Alternative and Euro.
Japanese video-gamish melody.
Needs more hi EQ.
Needs a more interest-bearing arpeggio.
Don't see this being done by an experienced composer, unless he's going for a very simplistic, child-like arrangement.

If you want honest perspective, there it is. This is obviously an old piece of yours, as your more recent music is much more outside of the box. I would expect to hear this in a Zelda 3D video game...

bvanoudtshoorn

Thanks for the feedback, Harbinger. Yes, I agree, it's a very simple track; it's actually a reworking of a track I wrote when I was just getting used to Modplug Tracker. :) I appreciate you taking the time to listen and give feedback.

mrvegas

Nothing wrong with basic melody and harmony.  It does have a bit of the self-important sixteen-year old about it,  but still very enjoyable.  Nice change of mood for a few bars around 2:45.

bvanoudtshoorn

Haha, I know what you mean about "self-important sixteen year old", mrvegas. :) Glad you liked it, and thanks for listening and giving me some feedback.