[album] Onbekend gebied (OGGs)

Started by Sam_Zen, September 14, 2008, 07:39:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

(title means 'Unknown territory')
I'm busy selecting files from the recordings of the Kukel ensemble sessions, spring 2007.
Ludwig Petersen - el. guitar plus Linndrum effect modulator.
Paul Dunki Jacobs - el. guitar plus Zoom bass effects module.
Me - laptop playing realtime tracker modules, Casio SK! twin set.

The cover will be :

All tracks are one-take improvisations. No rehearsals.
http://www.samshuijzen.nl/sam/kukels/onbekend_gebied/01_1a_byby_pol.ogg
Basic module running by me: By By Politicrats.
http://www.samshuijzen.nl/sam/kukels/onbekend_gebied/02_ooti_1b.ogg
I call this : just one of these imps

Other instruments used in these sessions : The Roland TD-6 drums, vocals by PDJ and Synthi AKS by me.
A very long example of what was happening :
http://www.samshuijzen.nl/sam/kukels/onbekend_gebied/03_ooti_327.ogg

bvanoudtshoorn

Heh - every time I see the title, I think it's "onbekend gebed", which means "unknown prayer" in Afrikaans, and, I assume, Dutch. :D

Just one of these imps
I quite like this. It actually reminded me of some of the Acid Jazz I've heard performed live.

By By Politicrats
Wow, this is very different from the "imps". Much more "traditional" in its approach, but still with the S_Z sound. :) The drums in the left channel (particularly the kick) make the sound a bit unbalanced to my ears. I kinda expected them to move around a bit more; perhaps the kick in one channel and the rest in the other for a while, then swap. There are some great guitar lines in this track, some of which I kinda wish were developed. But that's what happens when it's a one-shot improvisation, I guess. :)

Nice work overall, S_Z.

Sam_Zen

Well, 'onbekend gebed' would have been a nice title too :)

I guess you're right about the Acid Jazz comparison. Jazz was the thing in my youth that made me interested in music.

Generally, sessions like this (and those with the NulA ensemble), I just call 'electronic jazz'. because it only contains electronic instruments, even voices are mostly modulated, while jazz-elements like themes, and every musician can have moments of improvisation, are still there.
In the far past I did a lot of 'free-jazz' sessions with local musicians, and for 80 % it ended up in a boring mess.
With these Kukel-sessions I tried to avoid that, by introducing more structure in the happening.

Glad you mention the 'unbalance' of BBP. This was done on purpose. Reason :
I consider a one-take realtime recording as different from dubbing recorded tracks played in order (studio-production).
So I decided to mix the players as if they were standing on a podium, each with their own amp, and emphasized their position.
I'm on the left, LP is in the center, and PDJ is on the right.
Since the complete drumtrack comes from my laptop, it's bound to be coming from the left.

uncloned

Imps sounds so organic - like fantastic acoustic instruments - excellent!

BBP - this one I find not as interesting as imps - is that you talking Sam? Or a sample?
Like BV said some of the guitar is great

The long improv reminds me of tangerine dream I have for some reason - if they had vocals
very menacing and ominous

Sam_Zen

The talking in BPP are samples of statements by gov officials.