[Punk] Strassen (ogg) (cover song)

Started by cubaxd, August 08, 2008, 15:44:10

Previous topic - Next topic

cubaxd

The voice synthesizer MBROLA can sing :) And with the program txt2pho, which was espacially created for the high german mbrola voice files, it is rather easy to do.

Because i had no own ideas of a text, i've covered the song "Strassen" (streets) by the German Punk band Fliehende Stuerme.
It sounds very much like the original version (call me faker :)) - it was intention to let this OpenMPT-made song sound as much like the original song as possible, also to prove to myself, that it is possible to make punk music completely with a tracker and VSTs. Although i do now know that it is possible, i still prefer real handmade punk music :). The guitar riffs are completely made in OpenMPT (and thus sound a bit artificial - original guitars sound much better of course) and the singer is a woman instead of a man, and not even a real one (mbrola voicefile "de3") :)

here is the song (2.3MB)

VSTs used: JCM 900, MDA Stereo, Classic EQ, Classic Reverb

älskling

Sam_Zen

It will play with XMPlay.
Nice voice treatment indeed. A bit of an abrupt ending.

älskling

It played with Mediaplayer and FFDShow so no need for ugly XMPlay :D I haven't heard the original, so I can comment on that. And I can't really make out the lyrics, but that might also be because I don't really know the German language. It's punk tho :)

cubaxd

Here is the impulse tracker file (ca 2.3MB)

Hi älskling, let me try to translate this :-)
The song is about a guy being tired of the big city.

Text by Fliehende Stürme, bad translation by me :)

I'm not sure whether he is singing "die stadt ist kein freund" or something else. There is no songtext available.

ref: the city is no friend and the streets are cruel - don't turn around, don't move slow(ly?)
-(ref: Die Stadt ist kein Freund und die Straßen sind grausam - dreh dich nicht um, beweg' dich nicht langsam)
you're being watched at every turn , where ever you go - always being evesdropped when you're standing at the corner
-(Auf Schritt und Tritt bewacht, wohin du auch gehst - ständig belauscht wenn du an der Ecke stehst)
new facades, eyes in the window - this guy doesn't seem to be a monster (?)
-(Neue Fassaden, Augen im Fenster - da ist der Typ wohl doch kein Monster)
??
-(Leblose Blicke im U-Bahn-Tunnel - am Morgen verschollen im Gewimmel)
nobody sees where you are - and nobody notices when you go down (the drain)
-(Keiner sieht wo du stehst - und niemand merkt wenn du untergehst)

If you don't understand these lines, then it's because I'm the translator. If you don't understand the second last one, then because this line is to hard for me :-D

Sam_Zen

Having the impulse tracker file without the appropriate VST's is not quite useful.
2 älskling
Why is XMPlay ugly ? I'm curious to know.

älskling

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Why is XMPlay ugly ? I'm curious to know.
It's just a matter of personal taste. That, and the fact that I rarely listen to mods outside of Ompt which makes it kind of redundant to me. Just had a look at the site and I have to say the WAModern skin for XMPlay isn't as ugly as the others. ;)

Edit: and I never had problems with vorbis in winamp before.

EDIT2: thanks for the translation

uncloned

Quote from: "cubaxd"The voice synthesizer MBROLA can sing :) And with the program txt2pho, which was espacially created for the high german mbrola voice files, it is rather easy to do.

here is the song (2.3MB)

VSTs used: JCM 900, MDA Stereo, Classic EQ, Classic Reverb

This is an interesting VST - does it do German only?

The music is good but without understanding the words it comes across as repetitious - my kudos to multi-linguists.

cubaxd

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Having the impulse tracker file without the appropriate VST's is not quite useful.
- "Classic" Plugins - after clicking at DONWLOAD, at the bottom there are the free "Classic" plugins. They are really good :)
- JCM 900 is part of the SimuAnalog package
- and here you can find the MDA effects.

Quote from: "uncloned"This is an interesting VST - does it do German only?
It's not a pugin. mbrola is a command line program and it is able to handle dozens of languages (even English ;)) and there are several front-ends, each supporting other languages, some of them are free, others are commercial. Txt2pho, for example, is free, but it only supports the German language. You will need such a front-end because the .pho files MBROLA uses are very cryptic, and such a front-end makes it much simpler, because it creates this files for you, that is, it converts a usual textfile into a "phonetic" file, which then is used by mbrola to create a wav file.