[rock ballad]Something to Say to You(mp3)

Started by uncloned, July 24, 2008, 07:02:59

Previous topic - Next topic

uncloned

My vocals still gamey... but it is heartfelt and from 4-track cassette.

http://neuon.com/b/Attachments/10Something_to_Say_to_You.mp3

Something To Say To You

I'm looking to say to you
           Some sort of message to get thru
           I'm looking for someplace to place to you
           Is there room in your mind?

I'm looking for something to be to you
           To be someone special in your mind
           I'm looking for something to say to you
           Something no one said before, before

Echoed from the night
           See the light
           That we've been here before

I guess its one thing...
           Memories as strong
           As thinking gone astray...

I'm looking to say to you
           Something new and different
           I'm looking for something to be to you
           Something that will last forever.....

I'm looking for something to say to you
           Something I never said before
           I'm looking for someone to be to you
           Just what you wanted, ever more, ever more

Right channel Fender Rhodes ala CZ-101
Left elec. guitar
Fuzz lead w/digital delay ( the big blue + red fuzz)
MT-68 drums
CZ-101 Bass

bvanoudtshoorn

Not bad, clones. The panning is quite extreme, but I guess that (and the relatively low quality) is simply an artifact of the four-track cassette recording.

The track itself. This is one of your more "traditional" pop/rock pieces, I think, and it works really well like that. The guitar solo isn't bad, but I think that to really bring it out, a nice distorted rhythm guitar would've been nice in the back. :) I think that the various vocal lines work well together - it'd've been nice to have them panned differently to differentiate each a bit, though. But I do understand that the limitations of the hardware you were working with would've made achieving this quite hard.

uncloned

Though this is the original 4-track mix down I actually was able to pull this off as four tracks from the 4-track and into Sonar. So it IS possible to do something to a degree.

I don't know if I agree with the distorted guitar though.

and I'm not sure I'm interested in revisiting it - at least now... unless you want to talk me into something.

no doubt the backng vocals are attached to other tracks - I usually sang as I played.

The Beatles did wonders with 4 tracks.... but Sir George Martin has yet to return my calls.

Sam_Zen

Very nice song.

Interesting. I'm used to make 4-track productions, as being the next step from stereo.
So for final reproduction, not as a pre-stage for a stereo-mix.

If you use, instead of MP3, the OGG or FLAC format, you can convert a 4-track source in its original state.
Tools for this can be found on my website.

uncloned

Thanks Sam!

Can you play the four tracks back?

I never did have a quad stereo - you are making me want one again.

What is your URL?

Sam_Zen

I'm pleased that you are interested. Playing back quad tracks can be done in several ways.

About my concept (I call '4C') of this, the tools to make a file and how to reproduce it can be found directly at this URL :
http://www.louigiverona.com/webarchive/samzen/4c/quad.html

I_like_cake

Great tune!

Guitar solo was cool, the changes are nice, and I liked the harmonized vocals.

uncloned

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"I'm pleased that you are interested. Playing back quad tracks can be done in several ways.

About my concept (I call '4C') of this, the tools to make a file and how to reproduce it can be found directly at this URL :
http://www.louigiverona.com/webarchive/samzen/4c/quad.html

I looked this up and I am intrugued. I do not have the equipment sort of - there is the aging four track itself of course.

My whole family is laptop and wireless based.... but USB sundcards are not too expensive.

Sam_Zen

You're right. USB soundcards have now come into the picture too.
As for equipment, it's just an extra stereo-amp plus 2 extra speakers. because it's based on 4 discrete channels. No decoding involved.

Aging or not, the audio-playback properties of windoze still have an option for a quadrophonic playback.

As you say about laptops and wireless, I have no illusion whatsoever that quad would become a standard.
But it still could mean for a composer to publish an 'enhanced' version for those who have the right stuff.

uncloned

I'm going to see what I can cobble together

this is a good idea