[Space Boogie] Cosmic Groove with Chips (Mp3) - Funky tune

Started by I_like_cake, July 24, 2008, 01:23:33

Previous topic - Next topic

I_like_cake

This my first attempt with OpenMPT, in fact my first time with a tracker at all.

Please excuse the extraneous beeps at the beginning which aren't supposed to be there (cache?), and the fact that the song comes to a rather abrupt end.

Had the sound of my old C64 in mind when I made this one, as well as the Space Funk of Lonnie Liston Smith and Scottish folk music (sort of).

File location:

http://download.modplug.com/uploads/files/1216776513Cosmic%20Groove%20with%20Chips.mp3[quote][/quote]

bvanoudtshoorn

This isn't bad, I_like_cake! I take it you're using various plugins - they can cause the artifacts you have at the beginning of the track because of OpenMPT's VST implementation.

Onto the track itself. My biggest (and really, only) gripe would be that the bass sounds out of tune - it's quite flat, to my ears. :/ Apart from that, though, you have some really nice constructions. I like the way that you have voices imitating each other (like the gliss towards the beginning and in the middle). I can certainly hear the chip influences. The abrupt ending is... frustrating. But I'll excuse it. :)

aGIANTpupafish

Yes the beeps are caused by issues with openmpt. just insert an empty pattern at the start and use a wav editor like audacity to delete these.

Bass is too loud imo, and the kick is a bit non-existant.  Maybe some snare, or some claps could be added to liven up the beat?

I found there were some painful frequencies at the start too.

For your first track this is absolutely fantastic. I like the way it progresses.

I'll forgive the ending :wink:

Keep it up!
Quote from: "KrazyKatz"Yah, It reminds me of MAD magazine where the farm guys are playing music on a broom with string, a clothes cleaner, a jug until the angry house wife comes and takes all her cleaning stuff.

Sam_Zen

Welcome to the MP world, I_like_cake !
Nice piece of work, not so bad, neither very good.
Bass is quite prominent, but just acceptable. Maybe you could give the bass sound a bit of a panning envelope to hide this a bit.

And I don't excuse the abrupt ending.
It's piece of cake to at least give it a cliché end with a fade-out.
By duplicating the last pattern a couple of times and lower the volume slowly to zero.

The random notes at the start, before the song begins would be acceptable, if you had posted the tracker module file.
But now you come with a mixdown in the form of a MP3 file.
So you had the opportunity to remove these artifacts before publishing.

uncloned

Quote from: "I_like_cake"This my first attempt with OpenMPT, in fact my first time with a tracker at all.

quite a good go for a first track.

there are utiliies to help tune samples if that is an issue. (they are not to my ears but I would trust Barry's)

I_like_cake

Thanks for the welcome and the feedback!

Yes, it was pure sloppiness/forgetfulness with the beginning and ending, should have sorted that one out...

Also, will need to improve bass in future (got the sample from the MS GM bank)

I look forward to submitting some more tunes and participating on MP!