[Dance] Docking Maneuvers

Started by bvanoudtshoorn, July 23, 2008, 12:45:22

Previous topic - Next topic

bvanoudtshoorn

Not a particularly great track - I wrote it more for the sake of writing music than anything. That being said, I wrote it using only NI Kore Player (the free one) and a couple of FX (OK, and Kontakt for the vocal sample), so it was an experiment in that sense.

It's written in E Phrygian.

Get it here (source).

Coverart:

tvdude

You are right...not a particularly great track.  However, it would make a great piece for a futuristic movie scene in a dark and seedy night club.  And the sound quality is absolutely amazing.  I think I am certainly using the wrong plugins for mastering.  Oh, and hello everyone...I am not dead...lol..just dropped out of site for a while.

Keep making music bv...I study what you do.
tvdude
"If you look ten feet into a five foot well, you will see what you choose to see."

uncloned

Hi Barry - no mp3 with a vst module?

or am I missing something?

bvanoudtshoorn

Thanks for the feedback, tvdude! :) Good to see you around. And I'm flattered that you take the time to study my stuff. :D

Quote from: "uncloned"Hi Barry - no mp3 with a vst module?

or am I missing something?

Que? Well, to play the file, you'll need Xlutop Chainer (full) and the NI Kore Player. The MP3 should just, well, play. :/

uncloned

I don't see  link to the MP3

am I lossing it?

bvanoudtshoorn

It's on the word "here" in the original post.

Alternatively, it's here: http://test.pbc.wa.edu.au/music/Docking%20Maneuvers.mp3

uncloned

oh.. I don't think I can see that color change.

Listening

uncloned

I've listened to it for a while (putting away the ferrets of course!)

It is a solid track - more Front 242 indutrialish then dance to me.

I think vocals would make this super - the backing is there.

Sam_Zen

It starts very nice, but then the introduction of the dance-beat at 0:47 is far too strong imo. It disturbs the created feeling.

Harbinger

Not from my viewpoint, if i may oppose, Zen. The hard beat supports the electronic soul that creates it. (Funny how two similarly intelligent listeners draw completely antipodal perspectives, huh?) Perhaps you were anticipating an atmosphere, when actually our composer painted rocks and sticks! :) I of course do not wish to belittle your perspective, my good colleague. 8)

For me, this is my kind of music. It's staying in my iTunes...

bvanoudtshoorn

You know, that's one of the great things about putting my music up here - the many and varied opinions on it. :) I really enjoy seeing how different people can react to and interpret music in totally different ways.

@Clones: I'm glad you liked it. Vocals would be fun to play with, but I simply don't have the resources, capability, or money to get them. :( One day, I hope.

@Sam_Zen: I have had similar comments, that the mix is all wrong. Would it be better if I "toned down" the beat, from your perspective?

@Harbinger: I'm really glad you liked it enough to hold on to it! :D That's something that's always good to hear.

Thanks again for the feedback, everyone.

Sam_Zen

I agree about this place BvO, one can always expect fair, personal and/or informative comments here.

2nd ear..
Talking about vocals, I'm pretty sure I heard a voice at 3:05..
My term 'disturbs' appears too strong. And so is 'mix is all wrong'. This is more about subtle differences.
This piece starts with nice bell-like sounds. At the moment the dance elements come in, they become a bit too much in the background.
And I think now it's not so much the basic beat things, like drums, causing this unbalance, but more the orch-like sound playing the chords.
Because they behave more in the same sound-spectrum as the bells, so 'covering' them.

This could be enhanced in a volume way or a panorama way. Not necessary meaning to 'tone down' something.
In this case it could also mean to increase the volume of the bell-like background with a few dB's when the beat starts.

uncloned

Well, Barry, you know my solution is not to worry about perfection.

You or your finance might do a passable job at vocals.

Hopefully she won't charge you for that!

(But my daughter is charging for her voice now :-) )