[Game] Peccata Mundi (IT / MP3) - angelic battle music

Started by Elysius, July 22, 2008, 02:31:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Elysius

This is battle music for a Neverwinter Nights 2 game module that I'm developing. The song may be downloaded here. To download from this page, click "Request Ticket" at the upper left corner. After a second or two, the word "Download" will appear at the upper left corner. Just click that word to start downloading.

Here's a blurb that I wrote for the song:

A celestial host has assembled for glorious battle to cleanse the world of its sins. Hovering over the Earth, the angels sweetly sing while twirling their holy swords. This music is a good choice for getting them in the mood for righteous fighting.

"Peccata mundi" is Latin for "sins of the world," which never cease to flow from the hearts of men. This song reflects the serene enthusiasm with which a celestial host would face its endless battle.

The RAR file contains an MP3 and IT file of the song. I used commercial VSTis for this music, so I don't know if the IT file will play properly on other people's machines.

I'd appreciate feedback on this song. This is my first complete composition (as opposed to half-baked musical ideas that I might develop later). I tried my hand at composing only last week, and I think I may be getting the hang of it.

bvanoudtshoorn

Sounds good. There's still a bit of distortion in the choir samples when they're played simultaneously, so maybe think about lowering their volumes slightly. If you lower the other instruments' volumes too, it won't make a difference. I'd also consider reducing the reverb slightly - at times, it muddies the sound somewhat.

Your added instruments work well, and you develop the theme well. I think you could bring out the bass a bit more - it gets lost in the mix somewhat. Overall, you've got a solid track here, especially given your newness to composing! :) Great work - I look forward to hearing what else you come up with.

Sam_Zen

Generally, this is nice. But, while indeed it's developing, but it's just a serial thing, one new stage after the other.
So it becomes a bit like : ok, this is another part on the row, will this be the closing part, or will it be followed by something else ?
No section is used another time somewhere further up in the piece, which can help to give it a total 'envelope'.

The slight distortion maybe is caused by the use of the very low resolution of the MP3, 56 kbps - 22 kHz.

Elysius

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'll make some changes to the music, particularly on the volume and on sections to be repeated. Someone else adviced me to remove the drum beat because it is distracting, so I'll try doing that as well.