[classical - piano solo] Sonata 05 (mp3) 20th century style

Started by uncloned, July 20, 2008, 10:14:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

I don't fancy the piano sound unless it's played by someone like Thelonious Monk, but I must say : This is quite a nice construction.

uncloned

thanks.

It is interesting that you find my classical more to your liking than my pop attempts.

I do intend to write more classical

Sam_Zen

Your conclusion is a bit premature. I take songs one by one, no matter the style.

uncloned

most people can't deal with my piano pieces.

I'm glad you can because much more work goes into them.

Sam_Zen

Indeed I noticed, that this piece must have involved quite a lot of work.

uncloned

Sam, can you read sheet music?

I posted ithe pdf at the SoOn link above - you may find that interesting.

Sam_Zen

I can read the notation-system of sheet music, but, to be honest, I don't care about it much.
Imo in el. music other variables are often much more important for the properties of the work.

uncloned

If this were intended to be electronic music I could agree with you.

However, this is not the case, electronics are there only because I am not going to pay someone to play it.

As you may have read on the Sonata01 thread I find reading the music while listening interesting to do.

Sam_Zen

I understand your point. But there are, roughly,  at least two ways to look at things.
1. Electronic music is a certain style within the music-scala.
So if a composition results in a classical piano-piece, it has nothing to do with el. music.
2. Electronic music is everything made with electronic instruments on electronic media.

Both are in practice outruled by reality in strictness, because there are always 'gray' areas.
What if you compose a tracker for a piano-sound which, just because it's possible, contains elements that could never be played in realtime by one piano-player, just because of the physical boundaries..

uncloned

Sam, you know I did in (I think) all of my 7 so far sonatas.

It is an interesting question... you ask could it be performed?

I think my piano pieces, yes... but one could write something beyond performance - like some aggressive breakbeat I've heard - with a computer even though it used "acoustic" samples.

I think my distinction is that here I am trying to emulate a real piano.

Now if Tomita orchestrated it with Moogs - same notes and timing but obvously no longer imitative of a real acoustic instrument. that to me becomes electronic.

An electric guitar can straddle that line.... a synthesizer is obviously across the line. A sampler (read tracker) can let you try to do both.

Ask Barry about his comments concerning my unwilingness to let my woodwind and brass players breathe. He clearly is expecting something that can be translated into a real performance. Actually my son thought my eventual goal was to get my sonata's played by a real performer as well.

So....  when is it electronic music?

I'm not sure... as you say it is gray

Sam_Zen

Nice you mention Tomita. I would still call that classical music.
He follows exactly the score, although he replaced the used instruments by electronic ones.
The same with the old one Switched on Bach by, then still, Walter Carlos.
If people would call that el. music, fine, but I don't agree. The composition is just performed with el. instruments.
But I also have the album 'Seasonings' by, now, Wendy Carlos, which I consider as el. compositions.

You bring up an aspect which is maybe even more important : the intention of the composer.
You wanted to emulate a real piano, but you obviously not wanted to emulate (imitate) that woodwind and brass.
It's gray indeed, but this is due to the fact, that we're stuck with the term 'music' in the first place.
When people ask me what I do, I prefer to say that I'm a composer of electronic sounds, instead of el. music.
Sometimes I composed electronic landscapes. Within the music tree, this would be called 'ambient' style, which I find nonsense.
Because making it, and listening to it, doesn't involve any music rules whatsoever.
I wrote a small dissertation about it on these pages : http://www.louigiverona.com/webarchive/samzen/mux/mux.html

uncloned

ok, you seem to be coming from a point of view LV holds - that electronic music is totally new.

I disagree.

"Ever heard of a reproduction of f.e. "Silver Apples of the Moon" by Morton Subotnick by somebody else ?"

there is no need to attempt this since the original recording exists - however, people do reproduce sounds made by electronic instruments.

(and LV if you read this - excellent electronic composition by a modern classical composer.)

Western tradition is not dead by any means.

And music notation is totally arbitrary and does not define what is music, only how to reproduce it. Is it even needed anymore when you can make exact recording of exactly what the composer intended?

you may find this link interesting

http://www.obsolete.com/120_years/

The cachophony of sameness I think is a lie promoted by the record companies. It certainly is not true in acedemic circles.

check out this guy - he is a recent music major graduate and writes music as sculptures in autocad (and evolving too)

http://audiosculptures.com/

go here to my ferret's page

http://www.traxinspace.com/profile/charlie

There I have put up cSound examples.

cSound is a programing language for producing music/sound/what have you in the same way the Persistance of Vision ray tracing program exists.

I took a course in 1978 of its predesessor, MUSIC IV, which was written in Fortran.

In addition microtonal music is really popular in many circles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microtonal

computers afford the individual to do more than ever before in reality (one could -always- imagine) but this and the advent of cheap synthesizers has not revolutionized it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musique_concr%C3%A8te

There are many avenues - what will be remembered as good and/or typical was up for debate amongst us music majors. It really is up to the future to decide.

I think the lack of perspective does more harm than good. We all have more and better and different toys now. That is all that has changed.

The music has to come from your brain still - just like it has since the dawn of time.

Now.... computerized artificial creativity and compositon... another story.