Guitar samples

Started by Sylus101, June 12, 2008, 10:42:15

Previous topic - Next topic

bvanoudtshoorn

You might also want to check out some mods in the style you're after. In this case, somewhere like The Mod Archive is your friend. One track I found there with lots of electric guitar is Damask Rose by Quasian. You'll see that there are lots of guitar samples used, and that the filesize is pretty big as a result. :?

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Dictator"I tried another chainer also (Acon Digital Media Effect Chainer, couldn't find any other freeware), but when I play a note, there is an error and MPT sets it to "bypass".
Does it always cause error? I tried it with various versions of OMPT with chainer version 1.0.2.0, but couldn't reproduce such error.

Sylus101

Quote from: "bvanoudtshoorn"You might also want to check out some mods in the style you're after. In this case, somewhere like The Mod Archive is your friend. One track I found there with lots of electric guitar is Damask Rose by Quasian. You'll see that there are lots of guitar samples used, and that the filesize is pretty big as a result. :?

I may do that but I'm actually having quite good luck with taking wav recordings out of the Slayer 2 demo VSTi.

On file size, are there any file types other than wav supported that might give me a tad smaller result? True, I've already got a pretty good sized file and at the rate I'm going it's bound to get pretty big.

EDIT - Another question has popped up and I dug around a bit to no avail.
I read the wiki description of the sustain loop setting and it sounds useful to me. I however can't figure out how to utilize it or if it's what I need.
Can you use it to have a single sample that can play either 1 shot or looped and if so how?
Currently listening to The Sword

Dictator

Quote from: "Relabsoluness"Does it always cause error? I tried it with various versions of OMPT with chainer version 1.0.2.0, but couldn't reproduce such error.

Yep. Sometimes the error comes after I have set up the plugins in the chainer (just spontaneously), sometimes only when I press keys to hear the sound. The error message is:

The plugin Acon EffectChainer threw an exception in processReplacing. It has automatically been set to "Bypass".

Sometimes OMPT crashes after this too. My OMPT version is 1.17.02.45 and Acon chainer version 1.02. The plugins I tried to use were SimulAnalog JCM900 amp and Boss DS-1 distortion, but this seems to be true with all other plugins I tried.

bvanoudtshoorn

Maybe you should try using a newer version of OpenMPT... I think that there were a few VST memory management fixes after .45.

Dictator

Quote from: "bvanoudtshoorn"Maybe you should try using a newer version of OpenMPT... I think that there were a few VST memory management fixes after .45.

I never remember to look for updates...

I tried both the newest stable dev build and the newest beta build but they threw the same error message in the same situation. Beta build even exited by itself after I clicked the message.

EDIT: sorry for hijacking the thread, by the way.

Sylus101

No prob, I've got more questions and should probably start a new one... I'd say this one has probably run it's course.
Currently listening to The Sword

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Dictator"Sometimes OMPT crashes after this too. My OMPT version is 1.17.02.45 and Acon chainer version 1.02. The plugins I tried to use were SimulAnalog JCM900 amp and Boss DS-1 distortion, but this seems to be true with all other plugins I tried.
Thanks for the info. It remained open, though, what was the culprit - OMPT, chainer or something else.

Dictator

I don't really know. It's not the plugins 'cause all of them crash it. Either the chainer has a fault or OMPT can't handle it somehow.

There is something. I tried the chainer and the plugins with Wavosaur and it worked fine. So it seems that the chainer doesn't like OMPT or OMPT doesn't like the chainer.