[jazz] MD series (MOD)

Started by Sam_Zen, April 13, 2008, 06:16:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

1995. Short versions. A series with only samples derived/isolated from Miles Davis tracks.
MagDyn - 2:51
MinDer - 2:41
MorDon - 2:23
MuyDeo - 2:26
MesDag - 5:37

cubaxd

This one's very experimental, but with a negative result in sound.
You used, for example, some samples at the same time in different pitches, which simply don't fit together.
And the bassline is also rather randomly played, at least this is my impression of this mod.
Not sure what it is: sometimes, your music sounds good, and sometimes ... well ... not so good ;)
But since this mod is now 13 years old, maybe this can't be compared with you more recent stuff.

(I'm not good in analyzing music, but i hope my criticism is a little constructive.)

Sam_Zen

Well, without being slimy, your criticism is always constructive, cubaxd.

And without searching for an excuse for the quality, this was made in the days before I discovered FastTracker II,
so there was a limit of 4 channels, and it was an exciting puzzle to get the max out of it.

I added the other ones of this project in the leading post as well.

My intention has been all the electronic way not to be restricted to one or a restricted group of genre(s) in the works.
So I accept the risk, that someone thinks it's just crap.
The risk even increases, because sometimes musical output is not my main priority, but e.g. the success of some technical construction.

cubaxd

MesDag2 is the best, or, lets say the least bad of them, It's also somewhat strange, but partially listenable.

What tracker did you use before using FTII? I guess, there wasn't any windows tracker at this time?!

Sam_Zen

It was way before any window. It was done on an XT with DOS 5.0, later 6.2.
I'm not sure about the name of the tracker before FTII. The only name I can recall is MasterBlaster.
Before I got a SB16 card, the sound output was made from 8 bits of the parallel port with a resistor network as DA converter.

cubaxd

I see. Luckily for me, i began tracking on an Amiga, when DOS already was a relict of the stone age ;)