[Album] only a parsec from here (mp3)

Started by cubaxd, February 10, 2008, 19:42:20

Previous topic - Next topic

cubaxd

Hey ppl, this is my second album which explores the universe a little (BTW: do you know my first one?)
The genre of the album is chillout, ambient, or the like.
Some tunes might sound nervy, experimental and "hard to digest" (especially the first one) :lol:

Title: only a parsec from here
Tracks: 10
Format: MPEG ADTS, layer III, v1, 128 kBits, 44.1 kHz, JntStereo
Duration: almost an hour

01 - born in cyberspace    // 9:14, voice: festival TTS
02 - solar explorer    // 5:02
03 - irgend ein lied    // 4:58
04 - last year on mars    // 5:28
05 - may i think of her    // 2:14
06 - loopme    // 8:29
07 - liquid silicon    // 5:25
08 - verona rupes    // 7:25
09 - stones in motion    // 1:24
10 - stell die zeit ab    // 7:26, voice: txt2pho | mbrola

KrazyKatz

Oh, good.. I like your albums.. looking forward to listening after the download.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

Sam_Zen

A bit too much for a quick comment, so I picked at random.
05 - Enjoyed. Quite a 'tender' atmosphere. With an elegant question mark at the end.

07 - Nice impression of the materials involved.
At the end it looses a bit of strength, because the rhythm becomes somewhat too 'march-like'

09 - I like this one. Could be called nervy, but it's a choice for the real impression, ugly or not.

10 - As usual, a strong intro. And you take your time to build it up. Good use of more 'quiet' passages.
And the finish is excellent.

Afterwards a bit of a doubt about the voice-part. It's brave to use it a single time in the song, but after
that, while listening, I felt a growing logic to hear it once again, which didn't happen.
So the voice maybe should have been more 'impressive' in that single part.
Btw : is that an application, 'txt2pho' ?

cubaxd

Wow. the complete album has been downloaded 5 times already, whithin one day, a million thanks to you guys.

@Sam,
thank you for commenting

in track 10, i already had the voice part playing twice, but later i wanted to omit the second part and make the first part longer, the problem was that i didn't know what she could say in addition, and the voice herself had no idea, too :lol:

QuoteBtw : is that an application, 'txt2pho' ?
txt2pho converts (german) text into a .pho file, which can then be converted by mbrola to a .wav file. For example a text file containing the word "haus" will be converted using
txt2pho -i haus.txt -o haus.pho -f (the -f is for female voice) to a rather cryptic file, containing

_ 10   0 160
h 94  20 157  41 156  63 154  84 153
aU 126   4 152  20 151  36 150  52 148  67 147  83 146  99 146
s 79  24 145  49 144  75 144 100 160
_ 483   4 160   8 160  12 160  17 160  21 160  25 160  29 160  33 160  37 160  41 160

i bet, some of these values are responsible for wheter a voice sounds more or less impressive :)

Sam_Zen

Nice. I indeed found an application, a screenreader in fact.
And this needs an interpretator like MBROLA.
http://tcts.fpms.ac.be/synthesis/mbrola.html
A direct link to the text-converter:
http://www.ikp.uni-bonn.de/dt/forsch/phonetik/hadifix/txt2wav.zip

Saga Musix

hi cubaxd, really nice album :) liked it alot.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

bvanoudtshoorn

I too enjoyed your album, cubaxd. You've got a talent for producing well-connected pieces that are nonetheless unique.

cubaxd

Thank you Jojo and bvan, i'm glad you liked it :)

Sam_Zen

01 - Great start. Almost organic. Delicate positioning of the sounds.
Nice, on the moment I started thinking 'this is getting too long', the piece makes a change.
02 - Enjoyed. The heat is on.
03 - You obviously prefer a consistent kind of 'crispy' percussion. Maybe this one has a little bit too much hall.
Some instruments could have been somewhat 'closer'. A bit of an abrupt end.
04 - Nice drone. And quite unpredictable in sounds.

cubaxd

Hi Sam
You're right about track 3. Thus i changed it a little, added a fadeout and reuploaded the piece. I think it sounds better now.

QuoteNice, on the moment I started thinking 'this is getting too long', the piece makes a change.
Hehe. Good timing ;)

Sam_Zen

Nice changes of track 3 imo. Significant improvement in a subtle way.

06 - Great. I fancy reversed sounds. A 'floating' basic rhythm. It has an organic feel like track 01.
Again the fade-out at the end is a bit short. Ok, it's smooth in the cut, but here it could have started at least 6 secs before.

08 - What should I say? This is electronic sound art, or as I call it, MUX, in its true form.

QuoteHehe. Good timing
Sure. But this moment still depends on whether the composer wants to please/relieve the listener or not.
If it's intentional as an expression, it could be 'too long' as well, e.g. to create some tension envelope.

cubaxd

Thank you Sam for taking the time.
I think the short fade out in track 6 is only a minor issue. :)
What do you mean by MUX?

Sam_Zen

Agreed, the fade out is a minor issue.

MUX.. I'll try to keep it short, because there's a theory behind it.
It's a name I made up (short for 'multiplex') to indicate another 'tree' of sound art, besides the huge oak called 'music'.
You can find a description of this here