Video Synchronisation

Started by RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER), January 18, 2008, 01:32:56

Previous topic - Next topic

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

Hi, everyone,

I'm a french videogames and movies composer, having done several short movies soundtracks  (and many videogames OST too) with MPT, and recently worked on my first feature long movie, always with MPT(!).

But a cruel lack is felt currently: the possibility of synchronizing a video (no matter its format) with an MPT module, like a .IT, for example.

The video could be played in a shared/external window, making it possible to place it on a second screen, for a greater comfort of work.

This functionality would make MPT completely autonomous, and would complete to make of it an exploitable tool for audio-visual industry !

I am the alive proof of it, since I always definitely use it for all my games/movies OST since about 10 years : -).

I bless in advance the benefactor who will make this function possible; -)

Or maybe, at least and waiting for better, there's a way to synchronize a video using a VST trick ?

Is this request complicated to realize?

In any case, I just DREAM about it, being an inveterate fan of this software.

Thank you in advance for any answer and infos.

Best regards from Paris ;-)

RG :)

Sam_Zen

An interesting request.

For synchronization both audio and video will need reference points to make links with.
Video has a 'frame' as a mathematical unit, because it represents a certain time. Another one : 'n frames'.

A tracker-module has 'one tick', 'one row' and 'one pattern' as such units, also representing some duration.

All units have the variable of global playback-speed, making the durations of the units.
Sync here means two seperate media-cycles, where one of them is forcing the other cycle in behaviour.
So a series of 15 video-frames would mean playing back 32 rows of an IT file.

It could be tuned of course, but some algoritm would be nice.

bvanoudtshoorn

FLStudio has a VST Video player (http://www.flstudio.com/documents/videoplayback.html) but it's not free. :cry: There's also this offering: http://groc.org/movieplayer/index.html which I'm about to download and try... ;)

EDIT: Couldn't get that last one to work. Dunno why... I tried it straight and in Chainer. All it did is show the first frame of the movie, and give me a little bit of VU-meter action when sound came to it. :(

älskling

The FL Studio videoplayer is native FL for now, tho they're promising a VSTi version in the future (aka "soon").

Apart from that I just have to say I'm really excited to see one of the greatest trackers ever here at the forums.

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

Thanks to everybody for your interest in my request ;-)

Indeed, I believe it would be a GREAT feature !

älskling : I agree with you, MPT is one of the greatest trackers of all times, I believe I'll never stop using it !

Best regards from Paris,

Raphaël

Saga Musix

Quote from: "Raphaël Gesqua"älskling : I agree with you, MPT is one of the greatest trackers of all times, I believe I'll never stop using it !

ahehe, i think he rather meant you and not MPT :lol: (2 those who don't know, Raphaël is also known as "Audiomonster")
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

lol I'm so embarrased  :oops:

But thanks a lot, then.  It's a great honor and pleasure  :D

Raphaël

Saga Musix

i actually think it's quite cool that you still stick to a tracker, many ppl who were active in the old days moved on to more "professional" (hah!) stuff... :)
but that goes a bit off-topic...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

Well, being "professional" is not a matter of music stuffs and programs, it's just a matter of living from its own music, I think.

But I know certain people who measure talent with richness of the composer's studio  :lol:

Raphaël

Sam_Zen

Maybe a complex feature like this should start with the ability of MPT to show one bitmap.

Snu

hmm, does anyone know of a standard timecode sync transmition method? perhaps it would be simple enough to add a feature to mpt that would just transmit a timecode?  if that were done, it would be fairly simple to write a video player that could just recieve that code and play a video stream in one simple codec.

one question tho, does the vst standard have any timecode sync? would a vst only video player even work? or maybe even a vst that could sync an external video player...

also, what about http://groc.org/movieplayer/index.html ?
says its for 'live'? well, whatever, but its vst, so maybe it will work.

Sam_Zen

Hmm.. : movieplayer needs a quicktime driver.

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

Indeed, at least, a video synch with external player by VST would be cool, I think. But I don't know if it exists...

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

Hi,

I installed "Movieplayer" on my PC, and put it into MPT VST plugins.

But how do you proceed to, at least, launch the loaded video with a MPT instruction ?

IS it a "Z" maccro or something ?

Thanks

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

Anybody ?

Nohing about a simple VST plugin, allowing to synchronize a video with a sequence ?