New feature: view your songs quickly.

Started by LPChip, December 05, 2007, 00:13:04

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

And for the maniest time, I got annoyed that the downside of having a forum, is that you can't really see your own posted songs in the Free Music Downloads without doing an intensive search action which kind of takes away the easyness. (Browsing often is faster)

So I decided to do a little programming based on some other programming that I've had done for my clansite.

Note its really quick and dirty, but hey, it works!

Go to your (or anyone's profile) and on the bottom you'll see the songs they've posted in the Free Music Downloads forum.

Still confused, then visit: http://lpchip.com/modplug/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2

Oh, and even though I does look a bit ugly now, I might change that later depending if I can find one of those small moments inbetween where I can't work on big projects.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

Nice work, LPChip ! And they are links to the thread too, quite elegant.
Indeed it was a tough search sometimes, when I wondered, did I already published this song or not ?

LPChip

Indeed.

The linking was quite easy though...

I've had to program something similar for my clansite, which was a news-front page. It shows the top 5 forumtopics of a given forum, gets its text, title, link, poster, etc... and then nicelly formats it into a news post. Its a simple sql query. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

KrazyKatz

Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

LPChip

Quote from: "KrazyKatz"Awesome! Way to go LP 8) !

Wow, you have 7 songs online... Not as much as Sam_Zen though... He has 1 more :o Yup, 71 songs! :nuts:

Saga Musix

» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

I decided to add a bit of colour. Since I programmed all routines for MODPlug Central that are not part of phpBB in a seperate file, I could easilly access my other modifications, so I added colour to the Free Music Forum aswell.

It will now group [???] to a nicer button and align them by making the box the same size.

Saga Musix

uh, that really looks strange in the forum to be honest. i'd prefer the old one.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

I don't see a problem. It's just the title having the link instead of the total string.

Edit: Hey LP, I noticed you applied the same layout to the download selection. Quite nice !

LPChip

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"I don't see a problem. It's just the title having the link instead of the total string.

Edit: Hey LP, I noticed you applied the same layout to the download selection. Quite nice !

I did it for the download section first actually :)

But if its really that ugly, I can make it so that they just are textbased but still show the layout properly.

Or I can change the colors, but I thought it to be better if they stood out like this.

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

10 years on ModPlug... f#cking hell...

Soundcloud for B-S-V | Soundcloud for DX4-100 | Bandcamp for B-S-V

Saga Musix

i consider that as "not nice"... i normally don't look at thread titles, i just move my mouse intuitionally... which does not work if every thread title has double height :P

LPChip

Quote from: "Jojo"
i consider that as "not nice"... i normally don't look at thread titles, i just move my mouse intuitionally... which does not work if every thread title has double height :P

If thats the only problem, then I can look at it and see if I can fix it.

I think I can, as I'm now using DIV's. (Span works better in this case, were it not that Firefox messes up the spans badly because they're not in-line elements.

I can change this to an innertable which should fix the issue. Now it just uses 2 div's, with relative positioning over 100% width.

Sam_Zen

(haven't read LP's post yet when writing this)

Considerations after working in practice with it :

I agree with Jojo that the double height is not desirable. This is also caused by the small button to see the 'newest post'.
I don't need that button there. Other ways are already present to check the newests.

Another aspect which is confusing here, the rule to enter a new topic in the DL section still is :
[genre] title (format).
But this is no longer shown as title of the post, but replaced by the new representation.
(why this also has become a link to itself, I don't understand)
I was used to Ctrl+C the title above the notes for archiving purposes.
Now it will paste into two lines, instead of one.

And a last comment :
I like the color setting, nothing wrong with that, but I find it quite illogical to place the genre in the colored area, not the title. (This also valid for the profile-list)

Saga Musix

Quote from: "LPChip"Span works better in this case, were it not that Firefox messes up the spans badly because they're not in-line elements.

err.... <span> is indeed an inline element here, where <div> is not. you can change any tag to inline or block by applying the css attribute display:block; or display:inline;