Test builds

Started by Relabsoluness, December 01, 2007, 14:26:19

Previous topic - Next topic

bvanoudtshoorn

I don't have time to download it right now... (gotta go fix my Fedora 8 installation! :)), but just to clarify this point:

Quote[Fix/Imp] Fix for volume command behavior for plugins; in addition now there are options how to interpret it.
-Note: By default, the old buggy behavior is emulated for existing files - emulation can be disable from song properties.
-In effect: VST volume control may now be possible simply with the familiar volume commands without any macros.
Note, though, a significant difference in volume handling: plug volume is plug specific, not channel specific. So for example in

|C-501......|D-501......
|.....v64...|...........
|.....v32...|...........
|.....v00...|...........

If instrument 01 has VSTi plug, the volume fade affects the VSTi volume thus affecting both channels, while when using ordinary samples, only the note in the first channel fades out.

If a plug does interpret volume messages correctly, will this be overridden? That is, can you enable MIDI/MPT volume controlling per plugin, or is it only per song? 'Cos I use a mixture of plugs, some of which do handle it correctly (like Kontakt), and some of which don't (like FabFilterOne).

Thanks!

Saga Musix

I honestly didn't hear any difference, but ...
Quote[Fix] Fix for ini-settings related crash.
maybe this changed your bass boost, reverb or whatever settings? :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "bvanoudtshoorn"If a plug does interpret volume messages correctly, will this be overridden?
Volume commands used with note have worked correctly and that behavior should have remained the same; problem has been in volume commands without note.

Quote from: "bvanoudtshoorn"
That is, can you enable MIDI/MPT volume controlling per plugin, or is it only per song?
Per plugin.

edit: Corrected per instrument to per plugin

bvanoudtshoorn

Quote from: "Relabsoluness"
Quote from: "bvanoudtshoorn"If a plug does interpret volume messages correctly, will this be overridden?
Volume commands used with note have worked correctly and that behavior should have remained the same; problem has been in volume commands without note.

Quote from: "bvanoudtshoorn"
That is, can you enable MIDI/MPT volume controlling per plugin, or is it only per song?
Per instrument.

OK... So that now means that volume messages will be sent to the plug even when there's no note? Awesome!

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "bvanoudtshoorn"OK... So that now means that volume messages will be sent to the plug even when there's no note? Awesome!
Note, though, the difference in the volume command when used with note and without note. When used with note, it only sends velocity message, which doesn't affect the 'volume'-parameter. I see this somewhat analogous to electric piano with a volume slider: volume corresponds to the setting in the volume slider and velocity to the force used to press to key. One can't make the actual 'audible volume' higher just by using more force. So in practice with the default settings with VSTi
|C-501v64...
|.....v32...
|.....v00...
|C-501v64...

note on 4th row will not make any sound because on row 3 volume(actually dry/wet ratio) is set to zero, and the v64 on row 4 only sets max velocity, not volume. Also the v32 on second row doesn't necessarily make 'audible volume' weaker - depends on the volume setting with which first note is played with. I admit this is confusing behavior, and I think this needs improvement.

LPChip

Isn't it better to not set the velocity at all, but instead use the dry/wet slider?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "LPChip"Isn't it better to not set the velocity at all, but instead use the dry/wet slider?
If it's better, you can use this behavior by setting "note velocity" to "process as volume" and "Volume command effect" to "Dry/wet ratio". But there's a reason why this is not the default: the problem is that dry/wet is set for the whole plugin. So for example when using this behavior, in
|C-501v64...|...........
|...........|...........
|...........|D-501v32...

D-5 01 v32 sets the dry/wet slider of the whole plugin to half thus affecting the audible volume also for the note C-5.

bvanoudtshoorn

OK, I've got it now. Here are my thoughts.

[Imp] Ability to take MIDI volume into account when playing notes.
I didn't see the options in the instruments first time round. :) Now I see how it works. Good stuff for buggy plugs which don't handle volume properly.

Request: Can you change the default from Dry/Wet to MIDI, or give the option to? The plugs I use most already work properly, so I'll be using MIDI a lot more. :)

[Mod] .bak files won't be shown anymore in load dialog with 'All modules' filter.
Wonderful. :D

[Fix] Pattern number box didn't open pattern properties when using MPTm.
I might start using MPTm again, now.

[Fix] Fixed wrong MIDI CC names in macro editor.
Very nice. Now everything makes sense. :)

All in all, thanks for the work guys. Just that one little request... :D

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

Quote from: "BooT-SectoR-ViruZ"testing it for the first time just now and it seems like performance has been improved.
Interesting. Is there some specific aspect where the performance seems improved?

well mainly that theory was based on my impression that playback went more smoothly. no lag to be seen in pattern editor and stuff. also i believe to hear a better mixing-quality as sam said before.

[New] Ability to control plug params with MIDI controllers
      -Very basic model with limited and annoying GUI and usability.
      -For the time being, only for 'live'-controlling; no ability to insert pattern commands with it.
      -No pitch bender mapping

[...]

[Fix/Imp] Fix for volume command behavior for plugins; in addition now there are options how to interpret it.
      -Note: By default, the old buggy behavior is emulated for existing files - emulation can be disable from song properties.
      -In effect: VST volume control may now be possible simply with the familiar volume commands without any macros.
      Note, though, a significant difference in volume handling: plug volume is plug specific, not channel specific. So for example in

|C-501......|D-501......
      |.....v64...|...........
      |.....v32...|...........
      |.....v00...|...........
      If instrument 01 has VSTi plug, the volume fade affects the VSTi volume thus affecting both channels, while when using ordinary samples, only the note in the first channel fades out.

looking forward to .50 testing!!!!  :D
10 years on ModPlug... f#cking hell...

Soundcloud for B-S-V | Soundcloud for DX4-100 | Bandcamp for B-S-V

seventhson

Progressing nicely guys,some really good improvements. :)
But i wonder,is someone still planning on adding more midi macro's?

Saga Musix

I wonder what kind of midi macros you would need inside OpenMPT except those that send messages to plugins and the filters?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "bvanoudtshoorn"[Imp] Ability to take MIDI volume into account when playing notes.
The description was quite vague so it was changed to "Ability to take MIDI volume into account when playing notes with MIDI keyboard."

Quote from: "bvanoudtshoorn"Request: Can you change the default from Dry/Wet to MIDI, or give the option to? The plugs I use most already work properly, so I'll be using MIDI a lot more. :)
Yes, it might be useful to be able to define the default. But the default propably won't be changed to MIDI simply because not all plugs respond to MIDI volume message, but dry/wet works for all.

seventhson

Quote from: "Jojo"I wonder what kind of midi macros you would need inside OpenMPT except those that send messages to plugins and the filters?

I was talking about the amount of macro's you can use.
Right now we can only use 16 macro's and when automating synths and effects 16 just isn't that much.
So a while back i made a request to increase the amount and now wondered if someone is still working on it.

Saga Musix

ah yeah, i remember, i second that :) although i hardly need macros...

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "seventhson"But i wonder,is someone still planning on adding more midi macro's?
In a way I hope not; I would rather see better plug parameter control altogether.