Playing MOD's on Nintendo DS

Started by Spock, November 21, 2007, 17:02:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Spock

Hello,

I know that it is possible to play a MOD on a DS, but just wondering what software / player is used to do this ?  I will shortly be producing some music for the DS for an upcoming title and would like to use the MOD format.

If anyone can give me some advice or point me in the right direction that would be great.

Apologies if this question has been asked before, I did do a search but couldn't find anything re: the above.

Thank you,
S.

LPChip

I honestly don't know what is out there on the DS.

I only know that MODPlug Tracker can MAKE modules, but not in how far they are compatible and such, let alone playing on the DS.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Spock

Hi LPChip,

Thanks for your reply.  

Hopefully someone out there has done some development for the DS and can share some insight.  Most people use the NITRO tools supplied by Nintendo, but knowing that this is possible, I really want to track down if any kind of player is available, especially considering I am very familiar with MOD's and MODPlug in particular.

Thanks,
S.

Really Weird Person

I do not think that it is possible to play "mod" formatted music on the Nintendo DS, but you can buy something called MAX Media Player to play MP3s on it.

bvanoudtshoorn

There's a 16-channel tracker for the DS called NitroTracker. Not sure if this helps, but you might find some resources there to get you started...

There's also an SDL thing...

Saga Musix

Quote from: "Really Weird Person"I do not think that it is possible to play "mod" formatted music on the Nintendo DS
ofcourse it is possible...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Spock

Thanks very much for this info, I will look into whether NitroTracker is able to import and play MOD files written from within MODPlug, as I can imagine using NitroTracker to actually compose with, a little cumbersome.

Thanks again.
S.

LPChip

I believe Nitro Tracker is very basic when it comes to making music. I heard that you can only play samples, not trigger its pitch. Modules can do that, so I doubt that you can import modules.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Really Weird Person

I did forget about Nitro Tracker.

Saga Musix

Quote from: "LPChip"I believe Nitro Tracker is very basic when it comes to making music. I heard that you can only play samples, not trigger its pitch. Modules can do that, so I doubt that you can import modules.

That's no argument. MilkyTracker, a XM tracker, can import IT files, although it's not possible to use filters, NNAs and similar stuff. Writing your own converter shouldn't be too hard aswell.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Snu

i dont know specifically, but i do know of someone who does - if you have an irc client, log on to espernet and join the channel #mod_shrine , 'reduz' hangs out there often and he has done music for a couple gba and ds games (among other things).

maleek

LPChip:

Are you sure you cannot trigger it's pitch? It seems like it can in the screenshots. (there is a piano-looking thingie on the website in the first pic). Anyways, it seems like not much is happening with it since early 2007. It is still only 0.3.

LPChip

Quote from: "maleek"LPChip:

Are you sure you cannot trigger it's pitch? It seems like it can in the screenshots. (there is a piano-looking thingie on the website in the first pic). Anyways, it seems like not much is happening with it since early 2007. It is still only 0.3.

You're right, it is possible. Maybe I am confused with another tracker I've researched :P

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

I know this topic is kinda old, but i do know and use an MOD (can play XM modules to) player for the DS, but its homebrew.
http://wcms.teleion.it/users/cgq/nds/libxm7/index_v1.00.html

The player is called XM7Play, that can play MOD and XM music modules mostly native with full effect support for both formats. But the MOD and XM playback is limited by an RAM (up to 4MB) and Channel (16 channels) limit due to the DS hardware.
Blue Flames of the Night.

Was known as Alchemy before(with an Dialga picture).