Modplug Tracker or Encoder Limitation?

Started by Really Weird Person, November 20, 2007, 02:30:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Really Weird Person

I have a question. I have a computer with a 64-bit OS, Modplug Tracker, and an MP3 encoder. I cannot make an MP3 with Modplug Tracker more than about one hour long. My question is this. Is this a limitation of Modplug Tracker or my encoder? If it is a limitation of Modplug Tracker than all that I can do is hope for a new release (which has not happened for a while now) (perhaps a 64-bit application) that allows longer MP3 encoding. If it is the encoder, where can I download an encoder [that is possibly 64-bit] that will go beyond the hour encoding time.

Sam_Zen

First check how Modplug Tracker handles files > 60 minutes : save as WAV. If this is ok, it's a matter of the encoder.

I emulated this, enlarging an XM-file by coding each pattern with the max repeat of 16x, and make multiple copies in the pattern-row, to make a file longer than 60 minutes.

Modplug Estimated Song Length says : 76mn11s
The saved WAV says : 1:05:43
Converting to MP3 using 'MPEG Layer-3 Codec (Format 192 KBps): (this took quite some time).

(If it succeeds or not, the fact is quite remarkable that the source of this still remains some 16.8 KB, while the result takes a WAV-file of 695 MB... This shows the glory of the efficiency of the tracker-format.)

My produced MP3 has a length of 1:05:43, so I definitely think it's a coder issue.

LPChip

Have you checked the possibility that your temp directory ran out of diskspace?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs