Dithering in Modplug

Started by KrazyKatz, November 19, 2007, 09:25:33

Previous topic - Next topic

KrazyKatz

When converting a 16bit sample into 8bit in the OMPT SAMPLES menu, how good a job does it dither it, or does it simply chop off the data?
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

Saga Musix

Just test and compare :) I can't tell exactly, but IMO it does a quite good job here...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

I can't tell for sure, but it really depends on the sample. Some samples give a good result, where others not.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

KrazyKatz

QuoteJust test and compare :) I can't tell exactly, but IMO it does a quite good job here...

It does do a good job, no doubt, but it would be nice to know from a technical standpoint.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

Sam_Zen

More technical data would be nice indeed. Like a formula.
I've always found the term 'dithering' a bit vague, both in graphics and in sound. How? What?

LPChip

Dithering means that when a value needs to be rounded and that value changes big, it changes the values around it to build towards that value.

Sort of... :nuts:

It uses several values together to sum up to that one value in such way that on a distant, those values are being seen as that one value you're after.

And now so that you understand what I mean:

Quote from: "wikipedia"
Dither is an intentionally applied form of noise, used to randomize quantization error, thereby preventing large-scale patterns such as contouring that are more objectionable than uncorrelated noise. Dither is routinely used in processing of both digital audio and digital video data, and is often one of the last stages of audio production to compact disc.
source: wikipedia
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

Thanks. I understand. This is done by Cool when removing a single click. One has to select an area around the spike of about 8 ms and the formula detects the value pattern around the spike, and replace it (almost and rounded) by that pattern.