Do you think this is a good idea?

Why yes, I do.
9 (90%)
Certainly not!
1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: October 16, 2007, 01:08:49

bvanoudtshoorn

I've had an idea for a six-times-yearly compo (that is, every two months): an "inspiration" compo. Basically, instead of using samplepacks or whatever, all the entries must in some way be based on another artwork, such as a poem, a painting, a photograph, anything. What do you think? Is it worth getting something like this going? If I did, it'd probably start after my exams are finished at uni (late November)...

Nahkranoth

That's an interesting idea! If it's really going to happen I'd like to participate. But for me it's the matter of spare time at the moment.

bvanoudtshoorn

Same here. That's why it'll only happen (if it does) after I've finished my exams at uni. =D

Novus

I'd vote in it and link to it. No promises on whether I'd enter it. ;)
And no, I'm not back, whatever the hell "back" means. :)
novusmusic.org

Sam_Zen

Nice idea, but I think it has to be investigated. Because this is done with other disciplines, such as text or pictures.
A matter of interaction, so "inspirator" is not the only role possible. Being an "illustrator" of the other discpline, so more a serving role is another one. So sound could be based on a poem, or a poem could be base on the sound.
And then the option that both disciplines are approached equally, making a kind of hybrid output.

bvanoudtshoorn

Hmm... That's an interesting idea, Sam_Zen. So what you're suggesting is that some people might want to actually be responsible for producing the "inspiration" (the poem or whatever), whereas others would want to do the music... Could work. I'm not so sure how many people in the tracking scene would write / paint for a compo, though...

I'll give it some thought. As you say, it could become a "two-pronged" compo, where the "inspiration" is as important as the result... Perhaps a compo for the inspiration one month, then a compo on that inspiration the next? Of course, that might just be too much work... =P

Saga Musix

I think this kind if compo was already held at CTG and it worked quite well...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

QuoteI'm not so sure how many people in the tracking scene would write / paint for a compo, though...
I think enough, to create an interaction. People with songtexts, or doing graphic things as well, like me.
And don't forget the technical options to render one discipline from the other. The 'visuals' of a player.

QuotePerhaps a compo for the inspiration one month, then a compo on that inspiration the next?
You talked about a 2 month period, but anyway. So it's possible to launch a poll about the outcomes at the end
of a period, to decide which material has to be used for the next stage. To produce the yearly compo.

bvanoudtshoorn

Well, I've had a few more thoughts about this compo idea, so I figured I'd post them here, even though I should be studying. =D

Instead of running two compos simultaneously, I think it might be simpler if I just choose the "inspirational material". That's not to say that other people couldn't contribute: I'd have a prominent thing inviting people to submit their own stuff. If it turns out that hundreds of people start submitting stuff, I might just have to turn it into a sub-compo. =D

I think I'd also borrow some of the ideas from the Novus Compo ('cos they seem to work quite well!). For example, I'd only accept submissions from people who voted previously. Also, time permitting, I'd pre-screen the submissions, and whittle them down to maybe five or six. That way, you wouldn't have to download too much... I don't think that I'd separate the music into different genres, at least not at first.

Perhaps it'd also be an idea to allow people to post comments on the tracks when they vote. Not sure about this one, though. Maybe I should rather invite a few people to be reviewers for the top tracks, and get them to write fairly in-depth reviews. That way, there's the incentive of getting a solid review for your track, especially if you win. =D

@Novus: Thanks for offering to link to it! I'm trying to make it different from the Novus Compo, 'cos I don't want to detract in any way from it. Truth be told, though, the Novus Compo will probably last a bit longer than this one...

@Sam_Zen: Yeah, I realise that there are people in the tracking scene with other artistic abilities. As I said, though, it might be better if I just let them send me suggestions for material...

@Jojo: Really? That bodes well, then, I suppose. =D And there I was thinking I was being so original! (Not really! =P)

Anyway, to give you some idea of the sort of "inspirational material" that I'd probably include, here's an extract from "Le Petit Prince" (in English) (by Antoine de Saint-Exupery). I actually wrote a piece inspired by this recently (a minimalist orchestral one, which I'll hopefully get uploaded sometime in the not-too-distant future), so I figure that it's doable. =D

Note: this is not a compo! If you want to write something on this, feel free, and post it to the music section. If you don't want to, don't. I just thought you might be interested in seeing what I had in mind.

[From "Le Petit Prince", Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, 1943. Section VI]
 Ah, little prince! So it was, gradually, that I cam to understand your melancholy little life! For a long time your only pleasure had been to watch the gently setting sun. I learned this new detail on the morning of the fourth day, when you said to me:
 'I am very fond of sunsets. Let's go this moment and look at a sunset.'
 'But we shall have to wait...'
 'Wait for what?'
 'Wait until it's time for the sun to set.'
 At first you seemed very taken aback. Then you laughed at yourself and said:
 'I still keep thinking I'm at home!'
 Just so. For as everyone knows, when it is noon in the United States the sun is setting over France. If you could get to France in a twinkling, you could watch a sunset right now. Unfortunately France is rather too far away. But on your tiny planet, little prince, you had only to move your chair a few steps. You could watch night fall whenever you liked.
 'One day,' you said, 'I watched the sunset forty-three times!'
 And a little later you added:
 'You know, when one is that sad, one can get to love the sunset.'
 'Were you that sad, then, on the day of the forty-three sunsets?'
 But the prince made no answer.

bvanoudtshoorn

It's up! For those of you who haven't yet realised, check out this thread, and then head over to this compo and start writing!