[Classical/Orchestral] Remember (WMA)

Started by bvanoudtshoorn, October 07, 2007, 12:20:31

Previous topic - Next topic

bvanoudtshoorn

Title: Remember
Duration: 5.21
URL: http://test.pbc.wa.edu.au/music/Remember.wma
Filesize: 7.39MB

Orchestration: Violins, Violas, Celli, Double basses, Harp, Cor Anglais, Oboe, Bassoon, French Horns, Trumpet, Timpani, and Tamtam.

Notes:
Well, this is my latest orchestral track. I tried to be a little bit more experimental when I wrote it; it mixes in some atonality here and there, and has some nice dissonance, too. Depending on how you look at it, it follows either an ABCDA' (themes) or an ABA'B'A'' structure (tonality/atonality).

I originally intended this to be part of my "Horizon" series, but I think that it's too different: there's no piano, and it's more of a complete piece in itself. That being said, I think it could probably also work as part of a small collection of pieces.

There is something of a progression, or storyline, to this track, but I haven't written it out, or expressed it in words, and I'm not sure that I want to. Think of it as a journey through memories... (Well, the title sort of gives that away, anyway... =P)

Sam_Zen

I like the daring difference in total volume along the song.
A progression indeed. Of tension I would say. Upto and with the introduction of the timpani at 3:23.
Then a nice return to the main theme. The story of an unannounced memory, suddenly coming up very strongly.

bvanoudtshoorn

Thanks, Sam_Zen. Yeah, I had fun writing this one. =D I think you picked the "story" pretty accurately - that's what I had in my mind as I writing it, just not in words.

Sam_Zen

Well, words remain a bleached representation of the audio experience. We shouldn't talk about music, but we do it anyway.

Snu

looks interesting, but wma format? :\

well, im looking for a codec...

Sam_Zen

XMPlay can handle this format.

Codecs can be found at the Final Builds site.

Saga Musix

you still need the WMA libs if you're going to use XMplay... already discussed in #modarchive, Snu got a codec :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Snu

i prefer winamp, and even tho it has a wma plugin, it still requires the codec to be installed. regardless, i found it, tho im not too happy about having a wma file in my playlist... ill have to convert it to something reasonable i guess :p

anyway, the song is very nice, good composition and i love the varying moods and dynamics.
the different sections are quite disconnected tho, and not much in the way of transitions, it almost sounds more like several songs put together than one piece.
also, id say there's too much echo on the horn and/or not enough on everything else, doesnt sound like its in the same room.

bvanoudtshoorn

Thanks. Yeah, I think I did put a little bit too much delay on the horns. Everything's sent to a single unified reverb in Kontakt for a concert hall, but only the horns have the delay on them. I might actually look at taking the delay off, and doing something more interesting with a "scored" delay: that is, have a second lot of horns playing the delay. Hmm...

Sorry about WMA. I'm a Linux fan-boy, so I don't like the WMA format either. If I could, I'd use OGG, but my phone (k800) doesn't support OGGs. And since WMAs are higher quality and smaller than MP3s... That being said, if you really want an MP3, just let me know, and I'll encode one for you from the wave file, so you don't lose any more than you have to. =D

Thanks for all the feedback!

Sam_Zen

No sorry needed about WMA. Since I don't do streaming, but only download and then playback the file, I don't care if it's a WMA or a MP3. I can playback, and if I want to archive, I will convert them to the OGG format first anyway.
The fact that your phone doesn't support the OGG format proves that more users should propagate this, to improve the development of compatibility. The granted dominance of the MP3 format shouldn't be like this at the moment.

bvanoudtshoorn

Actually, I've already sent an email to Sony Ericsson asking why they don't support OGG format. =P I suppose that if I'm really bored over the summer break, I can write a Java program for media playback that does. (I've been thinking about writing by own media program for my phone for a while now - I want to include id3 editing and other cool stuff). =D

Sam_Zen

Great. And it shouldn't be that difficult for companies, because OGG is opensource.
For id3 editing of OGGs one can use Togger.

tvdude

tvdude
"If you look ten feet into a five foot well, you will see what you choose to see."