Panning problems in S3M mode?

Started by mrvegas, September 23, 2007, 13:20:35

Previous topic - Next topic

mrvegas

I have started working a little with s3m mode for two reasons:  (1) less to think about on adjusting instruments, etc.; and (2) on old Win98 machines (of which I still have a few) it avoids the issue of having the instrument screen messed up.

Anyway, when you start an s3m file, the channels are already panned in an alternating fashion.  Why is this?

OK, that's easy enough to adjust, but if you set a channel pan to 128 and then save your file, when you re-load it the pan shows up as 136.  Am I missing somthing?  

Again, easy enough to fix by setting the pan in the effects column at the beginning of a song, but still a little irritating.

Thanks again for a great program!  (By the way, I'm still using the latest stable release, not any of the betas.)

älskling

Just FYI, you can use both XM and IT format with samples only (just don't make any instruments).

And I don't think you need to worry about the latest beta being less stable than the "stable" release.

Saga Musix

S3M has very a rough panning setup (that's why 128 is impossible) and the "strange pannings" are just default MOD pannings (many ppl didn't have stereo soundcards when scream tracker was released, and when scream tracker got its first panning effects, the channel standard pannings were just handled like on the amiga: hard left or hard right), so this is pretty normal. if you start composing an IT module (the syntax is compatible to thr s3m syntax), you don't have any instruments and so you also don't have to use the instrument screen ;) only if you really tell modplug to USE instruments, it will use them. and of course, you have many more advantages like kool Zxx filters 8)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

The default channel order in panning of a MOD file is : L-R-R-L and so forth.
Of course this can be overruled by individual panning codes.

mrvegas

Thanks for the info.  I guess I should stick with impulse tracker format.  The change of panning on reloading the file was pretty weird though.

Saga Musix

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"The default channel order in panning of a MOD file is : L-R-R-L and so forth.
Of course this can be overruled by individual panning codes.

afaik the MOD format has no panning table at all, to clarify it: you may override the default table only in S3M or later formats.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

Jojo's right. I probably confused this with the setting in FastTracker II.