sfz and modplug...i moved my .sf2's, now what?

Started by treetop, September 01, 2007, 23:33:11

Previous topic - Next topic

treetop

got a interesting problem, mostly with sfz but i'm using modplug so a few of you may have encountered this...

i restructured my soundfonts directory and in the process moved a bunch of sf2's around.

now, when i open up sfz in modplug it doesn't know where the soundfonts are anymore...easy enough i just hit open and tell them where they are...

problem is, in MANY of my tracks I don't know which soundfont I was using!

is there a way to go in (with a hexeditor?) and see which soundfont sfz has associated with the particular song?

does this make sense?

thanks guys!

Sam_Zen

I'm not familiar with sfz, but when looking for such information inside a file, a hexeditor can be useful.
Sometimes even looking with e.g. Notepad can show enough strings to give a clue.

LPChip

I'm not sure if you can do this. This is simply because of how a plugin can be coded. I don't know how sfz is coded thought, but if it uses chunk presets it probably is compressed.

I think the best way is to make a copy of your SF2 directory and put it back. Now open your songs (as they will load fine) and load in the new banks. You should be able to see what SF2 you used this way, and if not, you can hear it. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

treetop

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"I'm not familiar with sfz, but when looking for such information inside a file, a hexeditor can be useful.
Sometimes even looking with e.g. Notepad can show enough strings to give a clue.

yeah, i poked through the mod with a hexeditor and I found the names of the plugins, but no reference to the sf2...i guess it's not in ascii :(

Quote from: "LPChip"I'm not sure if you can do this. This is simply because of how a plugin can be coded. I don't know how sfz is coded thought, but if it uses chunk presets it probably is compressed.

chunk presets, eh? compressed, eh?

crap.

so, to understand better, the reference is contained within the mod...but it's however sfz wants to reference it...so diving in and getting that information out would require intimate knowledge of sfz's process?

QuoteI think the best way is to make a copy of your SF2 directory and put it back. Now open your songs (as they will load fine) and load in the new banks. You should be able to see what SF2 you used this way, and if not, you can hear it. :)

i don't quite follow...

regardless, thanks for your help guys :)

Sam_Zen

Or next time at least write the sfz information of the song in the Comment tab.

LPChip

Quote from: "treetop"
QuoteI think the best way is to make a copy of your SF2 directory and put it back. Now open your songs (as they will load fine) and load in the new banks. You should be able to see what SF2 you used this way, and if not, you can hear it. :)

i don't quite follow...

regardless, thanks for your help guys :)

Basically, make a copy of your SF2 directory, so you have that directory on your old location aswell as on the new location.

Open your song, and it should load fine (because it loads the SF2's from the original location.

Edit the sfz plugin(s) and you'll see that it now mentions the right soundfonts, because it found them at the right location. You can now press load, browse to the new directory, and load it again.

Save the song, and to this with all songs. :)

After that, you can remove the old SF2 directory.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs