Sample Creator

Started by AndreR, July 28, 2007, 13:53:45

Previous topic - Next topic

AndreR

Is there a programm the create small and great sounding samples out of normal HQ-Waves? It should be freeware oder completely free. Audacity has no 8-bit-support and sounds nur great after downsampling.

LPChip

There are sound generator programs. They can make like sine/square/triangle/saw kind of waveforms, and save it directly to a wave file.

Another option is to use VSTi's, together with modplug, make one pattern with a sample. Add a C00 effect on say... row 8, so you have a short sample, and add pattern 0 to the order list. Now save as wav, and you should have a sample that sounds exactly like pattern 0.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

residentgrey

Audacity can do that stuff and more. tis more fun with a mic, recording my weird ass voice is always good for a laugh :P
No two people are not on fire...AWWW!

Web and Graphic Design just for you!
I r GhostMech on there, forever scouting.

Snu

8bit? eew... so much noise.
well, if you load the wav file in modplug you can convert it to 8bit (tho i cant imagine why you'd want to), or downsample it (which would halve the size).

LPChip

Wait, you mean converting high quality samples to lower quality samples?

You can do that directly from whitin OpenMPT's sample editor.

You can convert from stereo to mono and from 16 to 8 bit. Furthermore, you can downsample.

3 ways to make large samples small so you can make your module smaller.

I usually try to not switch from 16 to 8, but downsample instead, as that gives still good result and a relativelly small filesize.

Do note: there's NO undo function for doing this, so keep a copy of the HQ sample with you so you can restore it until you get the right result.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Waxhead

Quote from: "Snu"8bit? eew... so much noise.
Often 8bit can be quite impressive. Depends a bit on samplerate of course but even with bad samplerate music created with 8bit sound often get that special feel and may sound real good actually.
The squishy sound of low samplerate 8bit sound (let's throw in clipping here also shall we) often helps create a more distinctive rhythm than more "quality" sounds thus making a you feel the music a bit better (sometimes - not always hehe) ;)

Saga Musix

never ever use 8bit drums. you'll regret it as soon as you listen to your songs with headphones :lol: downsampling works better here, except for hi-hats. you can convert loops to 8bit, but those will lose quality when you downsample them.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Quote from: "Jojo"never ever use 8bit drums. you'll regret it as soon as you listen to your songs with headphones :lol: downsampling works better here, except for hi-hats. you can convert loops to 8bit, but those will lose quality when you downsample them.

Thats true, cus downsampling removes from the higher frequencies. Thats why bass samples usually can be downsampled alot. Their frequencies are not high, so you don't need to have all those higher frequencies.

But then again, pure higher frequencies usually don't get that much noise when converting to 8 bit, as the noise is being shaped around the lower frequencies. (unless ofcource there already is a noisefloor in the sample)