.48 VSTi with audio IN seems ignored

Started by LPChip, July 21, 2007, 23:53:18

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

Full Version:
OpenMPT v1.17.02.48

Has the bug occured in previous versions? If yes, please specify version(s): (This option is optional, and doesn't need research. But in case you know...)
Most likelly, but not tested.

Description of the bug:
I have made a VSTi, that is actually a VST effect, with a trigger set to the midi messages. Currently, regardless of what I set the volume settings, the sample played before the VSTi is always heard. There's no way, I can use the internal volume settings of the plugin without also hearing the instrument outside it. I think this is wrong. Picture a VST Instrument that uses the previously played sound, samples and holds it, to generate a new sound to play. I basically made a delay effect with a randomiser so the delay can be short or long on each hit. This gives it a more human feel, but due to the original volume being heard OVER the VSTi, it doesnt' allow me to tweak the sound right, as I actually need to get more volume on my vsti which results in clipping.

I'm sure you can set it so that with a VSTi, the sound in is being routed only to the VSTi, not both?

How often does it happen?:
always

How to reproduce (step by step description):
use a VSTi that has sound in capabilities and place it on an instrument. Then set its volume to 0, and be amased (NOT :P) that you can still hear the sound.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

älskling

Perhaps if you made a VST instead of a VSTi when you're making an effect and not an instrument would work better?

LPChip

Quote from: "älskling"Perhaps if you made a VST instead of a VSTi when you're making an effect and not an instrument would work better?

Damn, you're a genius! :D

Thanks. :) I assumed that midi messages were ignored on effects, but appearantly it isn't. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

dBlues

Classic. I bet everybody bangs their heads to this tree once in a while :) I know I do.
Strive for excellence, not perfection.

älskling

Just FYI, VST effects also accepts note data, which might be a funky way to control a param(eter more easily in MPT (since you're making your own plugins anyway).

LPChip

Quote from: "älskling"Just FYI, VST effects also accepts note data, which might be a funky way to control a param(eter more easily in MPT (since you're making your own plugins anyway).

Thats a great idea (well, for another effect than this one :P)