modplug player source code - is it available ?

Started by fabricius, July 20, 2007, 14:05:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

pelya

I personally prefer ModPlug acting as plugin for Winamp (actually I'm using XMPlay, but it can handle Winamp input plugins, so I guess it became standard). When pressing "Song Info" in Winamp the plugin shows some custom window with song info/tags - that's where MPT should reveal itself :) .
The reason for this is that player would play all of my other sound files like MP3/OGG/FLAC/whatever and registers global hotkeys to control it witout switching away from your word processor.

fabricius

Hi,

three things:
- I cannot contact Olivier, I dont know his mail. His home page has not been updated since 2002 and his mail is not given... Anyone has it ?

- About the "merge" of MPT and MPP, I personaly prefer that the two programs remain separated. The memory footprint of a player will always be smaller, updates will be easier, ... But having a playlist feature in Open MPT could be nice for those who would like to play modules in a tracker.

- Maleek, sounds like a designer would be welcome in Open MPT team. Yeah, why not, but I don't have visual Studio (I use DevCpp at home). And I don't know much about programming music stuff - that's why I just wanted to add GUI features to MPP. And I wanted to do that on DevCpp (supposing I could compile MPP with DevCpp)...

älskling

Considering the updates made to the tracker, I think it would be a better idea to base the player on the tracker source than to get the old player source. As far as I can recall, when the tracker was released as open source and Olivier was asked about the player source, he said something about it being the same thing. It's a shame the old forums were lost.

Sam_Zen

I think älskling is right.
If the playback routine sources of both the player and the tracker are identical, then it is not necessary to hunt down dear Olivier for the player code.
The source code for the tracker is Open, so it's there.

So maybe this is more a matter of skipping existing functions, not related to playback, of an engine, to build a player.
Instead of starting with some sourcecode from scratch and build a GUI around it.

Snu

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"I think älskling is right.
If the playback routine sources of both the player and the tracker are identical, then it is not necessary to hunt down dear Olivier for the player code.
The source code for the tracker is Open, so it's there.

So maybe this is more a matter of skipping existing functions, not related to playback, of an engine, to build a player.
Instead of starting with some sourcecode from scratch and build a GUI around it.
or better yet, a winamp plugin!
would be very nice, then i wouldnt have to use a seperate player for mods... tho i have a bass modplayer plugin that does a decent job... not very configurable tho.
well, if i can... er, obtain visual studio, ill see if i have the skills to do something along those lines... will take me a long time tho no doubt.

fabricius

> or better yet, a winamp plugin!

Yeah, that would be cool. May be it already exists:
As Pelya said in this thread:
> I personally prefer ModPlug acting as plugin for Winamp

Pelya, is there such a plugin ? You said it's a winamp plugin...

älskling

mppsdk.dll from the ModPlug Sound System SDK works in winamp. i think you might have to replace the existing in_mod.dll with it for it to work properly. I'm not sure if it's any better than the default in_mod.dll (which is based on mikmod and seems to be pretty decent these days), and it's pretty old so it won't support those quirks that makes mpt so loved and so hated.

fabricius

mmm, I like the idea of looking at MPT code and trying to get out the "tracking" part to obtain a player. And I guess it'll be a good exercise to understand how MPT works.

I'll do that !

pelya

Quote from: "fabricius"- Maleek, sounds like a designer would be welcome in Open MPT team. Yeah, why not, but I don't have visual Studio (I use DevCpp at home). And I don't know much about programming music stuff - that's why I just wanted to add GUI features to MPP. And I wanted to do that on DevCpp (supposing I could compile MPP with DevCpp)...
You will need The Unholy Micro$oft Foundation Classes from Visual Studio to compile MPT somewhere else  (I'm trying to do something like that) . And yes, MPT GUI written using MFC entirely, so maybe programming music stuff will be easier for you  :wink: .

fabricius

I dowloaded the source code of MPT and saw that there are some files created by DevCpp. For instance the Makefile.win file in mptrack directory. Did Olivier tried to compile MPT with DevCpp at a time ?

What I want to do now is to compile the sound part of MPT (all the code in the soundlib directory). If I manage to do that, I might add later a GUI and try to build a basic player. Of course, I'll try to stick with DevCpp. At least, as long as my goal is to do a player based on MPT ! If I start working on open MPT, I guess I'll have no choice but to ... er, obtain Visual Studio !!!

radstorm55

I just use Winamp for a player..it does a pretty good job :)
This World Belongs To You

Saga Musix

well well well... you're completely wrong here :D winamp may be able to play some mods and s3ms, but it really lacks IT support. most advanced module tunes won't work on winamp, especially tunes created with OpenMPT. If you want a good player, get XmPlay or the BASS plugin for WinAmp (note: BASS is the sound engine of XmPlay).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

radstorm55

This World Belongs To You

älskling

Quote from: "Jojo"well well well... you're completely wrong here :D winamp may be able to play some mods and s3ms, but it really lacks IT support.
Actually it's not that bad. It used to be awful but is quite alright now.