modplug player source code - is it available ?

Started by fabricius, July 20, 2007, 14:05:16

Previous topic - Next topic

fabricius

Hi !
I'm a long time module listener, and a new modplug tracker user (in fact I used MPT a long time ago, but never really used it seriously).

Now I'd like to track again and for once *finish* something.

Today I downloaded modplug player and used it to listen to various modules. MPP was my favourite mod player. But now I must admit that I prefer XMplay or dekibulle. I like XMplay because it is really mod-oriented (unlike dekibulle)  but I like dekibulle because it runs in tray and can be controlled from global shortcuts (ie no need to leave current app).

I think modplug player misses a lot to be a modern module player: configurable keyboard shortcuts, some user-friendlyness stuff, may be skinable interface (I dont need it, personnally).
For instance: you click on playlist button, you have the playlist. cool. You click it again, it does not disappear. Not cool.
Another example: an internal volume controller. I know it has one, but on a laptop it's not as convenient as the dekibulle one, or XMplay. The MPP volume controller has too narrow range i think.

So I thought: where is the modplug player source code ? I could try to dig it by myself... I'm a software designer, so I could do something...

LPChip

Unfortunatelly, Olivier Lapique, the original author, never released the sourcecode for the player.

And although I suggested to create a player from OpenMPT, it is not gonna happen soon, if at all.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

KrazyKatz

Why dont you ask Mr. Lapique? Dont ask, dont get..
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

LPChip

I guess you can always ask, but I still remember last time when Modplug Tracker went open source. It took quite a while before it actually was realised. But indeed, those who don't ask won't receive.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

fabricius

maleek

That sounds sweet fabricius. Just on a egoistical note 8) I would like to add that Open Modplug Tracker that could use a 24/7 kind of guy. :) Just joking, the best of luck in your contact with Olivier.

Relabsoluness

Am I the only one who thinks it would be nice to have the (mod)player and the tracker in a single app - like one tab for tracker and one for player. For example if there was a nice part in some tune one could just switch to tracker view and see the pattern structure. But then again, maybe there's a good reason why they were separate in the first place, yet I can't think of a good reason why they should be separate - if someone knows better please enlighten me :)

LPChip

Quote from: "Relabsoluness"Am I the only one who thinks it would be nice to have the (mod)player and the tracker in a single app - like one tab for tracker and one for player. For example if there was a nice part in some tune one could just switch to tracker view and see the pattern structure. But then again, maybe there's a good reason why they were separate in the first place, yet I can't think of a good reason why they should be separate - if someone knows better please enlighten me :)

I agree, but differently.

The player part should have a completelly different GUI than the tracker, but ofcource switching between would be great! I actually suggested this long ago.

Its kind of like: add a playlist thingy as first start, and later on top of that, you can make a gui that you can switch to which only shows like the playlist (optional window) and some controls for play/pause/stop/next song/previous song shows progress info.

Sam_Zen

I still have MPP462 associated with the tracker-extensions, for a quick look of a file.
The GUI indeed could fancy some improvements. Things are quite hidden. But a playlist is there, export to WAV, the same
player options as with the editor, song-info, etc.

It already has a link with the editor because in the Details/Song properties dialog there is a button 'Edit in MPT'.
Of course that button doesn't work anymore.

Snu

Quote from: "Relabsoluness"Am I the only one who thinks it would be nice to have the (mod)player and the tracker in a single app - like one tab for tracker and one for player. For example if there was a nice part in some tune one could just switch to tracker view and see the pattern structure. But then again, maybe there's a good reason why they were separate in the first place, yet I can't think of a good reason why they should be separate - if someone knows better please enlighten me :)

but, for writing music you dont want any of the effects added (ie, surround, reverb, bass expansion), but in a player those should be enabled... also, who uses a player in full screen? usually with a player the smaller the better.
i agree that it would be cool to be able to just switch and see the patterns of a playing song tho... but, the player had an 'open in modplug tracker' button which would be good for that.

bvanoudtshoorn

I think that the reason they were separate is because the player can use playlists etc., and also should have a smaller footprint. However, with vst(i)s and what not, lumping them together could be mildly useful... But I must admit that if I do use mpt as a player, I like to see what's happening. I stopped using the player long before it stopped getting worked on. =)

Relabsoluness

LPChip

Sam_Zen

I would like to stay on this level as well.
This is about developing a new stage of module-player.

Apart from standard playlist things, another aspect comes around the corner : Realtime manipulating of the playback.
This has been developed in the meantime in OMPT, with options like 'change mode at transition'.

So such things should be integrated in the Player as well, perhaps also the Channel Manager dialog.
So the player not only can integrate the ole source code of the player, but also the source code of the real-time options
made in the meantime.
This facility would make a difference with other media-players, because it not only can reproduce some song, but
the Player actually can be used by a musician, who is playing it like an instrument.

LPChip

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"I would like to stay on this level as well.
This is about developing a new stage of module-player.

Apart from standard playlist things, another aspect comes around the corner : Realtime manipulating of the playback.
This has been developed in the meantime in OMPT, with options like 'change mode at transition'.

So such things should be integrated in the Player as well, perhaps also the Channel Manager dialog.
So the player not only can integrate the ole source code of the player, but also the source code of the real-time options
made in the meantime.
This facility would make a difference with other media-players, because it not only can reproduce some song, but
the Player actually can be used by a musician, who is playing it like an instrument.

I disagree with you here.

If you want to play around with a song, it should be done in the tracker interface instead of the player, simply because such control would lead to an enormous GUI. A player should be small. In fact, the smaller the better in most cases. A player should be a tool that you activate and can work on the background. It should allow you to listen to your music like it was broadcasted on a radio station (playlist?), with the ability to stop and play, in case you need to interrupt the sound for other sound events, like a telephone that needs answering.

Having the ability to do those life transitions are nice, but IMHO not required for the player interface. True, if the player would be a seperate program, it could have the option to switch to a bigger GUI, but even though, I still think that these options are best for the tracker interface only.