Mix paste bug or a feature?

Started by Relabsoluness, July 06, 2007, 19:18:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Relabsoluness

Considering the following example:

|........XFF|........D01|........D00
|........XFF|........D01|........D00

When copying first effect column and mix pasting it to channels 2 and 3, the result is

|........XFF|........D01|........DFF
|........XFF|........D01|........DFF

The effects with parameter 00 is treated differently. Is it supposed to work like this?

LPChip

That would be a bug, if you consider how IT would do this.

IT threats the effect as a whole Xyz is one item where the X must be set in order for the yz to be also used. I'd say that copying a .00 value should be ignored.

Also if you only copy the X and not the yz then I think that it should mix paste only the X, but since OpenMPT doesn't show yz values when there is no effect set, I think you should then always add a 00 to it.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Relabsoluness

Thanks for the info; it seemed like a bug, but I thought to confirm it since I don't use mix paste that often.

Quote from: "LPChip"Also if you only copy the X and not the yz then I think that it should mix paste only the X, but since OpenMPT doesn't show yz values when there is no effect set, I think you should then always add a 00 to it.
Indeed that 'hidden parameter' can be confusing. For example if one mix pastes

|........XFF
|........X00

to place which seems empty but used to have

|........R11
|........R22

and which were deleted e.g. by pressing delete(IT style) on 'R', the result is

|........X11
|........X22

LPChip

Exactly, so I'd suggest to put them to 00 on such moment. Maybe its even better to clear the 00 value when you remove the effect, so it actually makes your song smaller. (good for 4k chip compo's.)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Relabsoluness

Just for info: I just noticed that the initial problem can be 'fixed' simply by using 'Mix paste (Old IT style)' instead of ordinary 'Mix paste'; old IT style mixpaste is available from keyboard config.

LPChip

Quote from: "Relabsoluness"Just for info: I just noticed that the initial problem can be 'fixed' simply by using 'Mix paste (Old IT style)' instead of ordinary 'Mix paste'; old IT style mixpaste is available from keyboard config.

Yeah, Back then, I talked with rewbs about how it should behave, as I was annoyed that it didn't behaved like IT style. Thats how 2 options were born. :)

I always use IT's old style ofcource.