Midi macros/VSTi automation: Cannot insert SFx command

Started by dBlues, June 17, 2007, 15:00:56

Previous topic - Next topic

dBlues

Hello everybody! I recently downloaded MPT 1.17.02.48 (latest dev build), because it has the SFx command with the ability to control VSTi parameters. However great this feature is, it seems to have some problems (or maybe it is just me).

When I start a new song and assign a VSTi to an instrument (Synth 1 \o/) I can define a macro and use the SFx with Zxx to control the parameters in it.

However, I have this song with some VSTis loaded, and I cannot insert the SFx command no longer. It just wont insert it to the track no matter what. Does anybody have an idea what could be wrong (I really hope it isnt a bug)?

//Edit: I checked the double-click dialog (one that opens if you d-click on a note in pattern view), there is a list of possible effects there. Midi macros show on a new song but not in my current song.... A-HA! Is it so that you cannot use Midi macros on a .xm? the new song can only be saved .it, so this must be the problem??
Strive for excellence, not perfection.

LPChip

I just verified it to work on my end.

Can you be more speciffic on what does and what does not work?

You first press the button Zxx in the toolbar to get access to the panel where you can setup your midi macro's.

Then you select which macro you want to change (SF4 for example) You then set its parameters, check: Embed config in file and press ok.

Then in the pattern editor, in the effects column, you place an SF4.

From this point on, you should be able to use Z00 to Z7F to control your value.

Note that you can also double click the value to enter one.

But can you enter other effects, and just not this one?

If you cannot, maybe your keyconfig is not loaded. Can you enter any data in the pattern area? Stupid question: is record turned off? (toolbar icon, shortkey: ctrl-space)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

dBlues

I believe the explanation is that if you open and work on an .xm file, this feature is disabled. I discovered this as I tried to work with an .it file. Also some other instrument-related features are disabled when you work with an .xm. So its better to use .it I guess.

LPChip

Indeed. Zxx midi macro's is an IT speciffic function.

If you go to the general tab, Song properties, you can switch to .IT, and then save as .it file in order to enable the Zxx function.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "LPChip"Indeed. Zxx midi macro's is an IT speciffic function.
Does IT originally have midi macro command, so that would it be correct to add that it is even Modplug Tracker specific?

LPChip

Quote from: "Relabsoluness"
Quote from: "LPChip"Indeed. Zxx midi macro's is an IT speciffic function.
Does IT originally have midi macro command, so that would it be correct to add that it is even Modplug Tracker specific?

Yes. I have even seen the screen to use them. This is an IT 2.14 feature though, and if not then its a 2.15a feature.

If my memory serves me correctly, it was F11 twice.

F11 once got you to the order list screen, and that same button again would give you a big: configure your Zxx macros screen.

dBlues

Quote from: "LPChip"If you go to the general tab, Song properties, you can switch to .IT, and then save as .it file in order to enable the Zxx function.

Great. Thanks!  8)

rewbs

Some corrections:

1. SFx/Zxx are not new, they have existed for many years, since the pre-open source versions.
2. You can control plugin params just fine with XM in MPT, but you must use EFx instead of SFx.

But if you don't care whether you use XM or IT, you should use IT (or MPTM).

dBlues