What Equipment do you use?

Started by KrazyKatz, June 17, 2007, 12:26:18

Previous topic - Next topic

KrazyKatz

@ LPchip

I use the AKG-K240M headphones since they're a studio standard for like 30 years and renowned for there honesty in sound reproduction. But I'm inclined to know what your K-271s sound like. Are they that old school speaker-like sound, or do they have the modern silky-sound approach. Do you find them overly strong in certain frequencies or lacking  in some?

Cheers!
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

tvdude

Here is my absolutely massive equipment list:

-HP Pavilion5250 Laptop computer with stock soundcard
-Paradigm bookshelf speakers (in desperate need of reference monitors)
-Realistic 150 watt amp (ancient history and crackles and cackles like a witch)
-1 no name 12 dollar microphone
-Sony MDR- V180 headphones (not accurate in the least)
-2 cucumber sandwiches
-5 cups of tea
-1 brain with a few musical ideas
-a 1954 rudge whitworth bicycle
-issue 1 of Star Trek: TNG "The Gift" in mint condition (DC comics 1990)

Obvioulsy, Modplug Tracker is my audio program, and I use many many vsts and vstis, so I have a tonne of software effects and instruments, all of which are freeware, no shareware or purchased products.
tvdude
"If you look ten feet into a five foot well, you will see what you choose to see."

LPChip

Quote from: "KrazyKatz"@ LPchip

I use the AKG-K240M headphones since they're a studio standard for like 30 years and renowned for there honesty in sound reproduction. But I'm inclined to know what your K-271s sound like. Are they that old school speaker-like sound, or do they have the modern silky-sound approach. Do you find them overly strong in certain frequencies or lacking  in some?

Cheers!

Actually, the K271 is the sequal to the K240. They sound nearly alike, except that the K240 goes down to 20 hz, and mine goes down to 16 hz.

EDIT: and a tiny detail, the ear shelves are slightly larger I believe.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

dBlues

Quote from: "KrazyKatz"@ dBlues, you must have a great wife! some folks would've made the alternate decision :)

;) Well, it was a tough call. (But in the end of the day, I need a new keyboard anyway :P)

(sorry for off-topic post)
Strive for excellence, not perfection.

KrazyKatz

QuoteActually, the K271 is the sequal to the K240. They sound nearly alike, except that the K240 goes down to 20 hz, and mine goes down to 16 hz.

You sure you not talking about the K-240S? They're supposed to be the sequel to the K-240M. Ive had a brief listen to those and they have a very similar sound with a lightly enhanced bass reproduction, and I think a hint less bright.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

LPChip

Quote from: "KrazyKatz"
QuoteActually, the K271 is the sequal to the K240. They sound nearly alike, except that the K240 goes down to 20 hz, and mine goes down to 16 hz.

You sure you not talking about the K-240S? They're supposed to be the sequel to the K-240M. Ive had a brief listen to those and they have a very similar sound with a lightly enhanced bass reproduction, and I think a hint less bright.

When I bough the K-271 Studio, the man in the shop let me listen to a K240. I told him that I wanted the K271 explicitly, so it was ordered from germany. That man told me the difference.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Asharin

Quote from: "SoundCrafter"
Sound Card: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi XtremeGamer. Only because Dell didn't offer XtremeAudio...or whatever the option was...=/
The Xtremeaudio isn't even a proper X-Fi card anyway, it's basically the Audigy SE, no acceleration whatsoever, and X-Fi features are doen in software.
The Xtremegamer isn't that bad a card, well, apart from the fact it's a creative card..
I am Dyslexic of Borg, resemblance is fertile, your ass will be laminated.

SoundCrafter

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"2 SoundCrafter
Don't be sad or jealous. It took me tens of years to get this configuration.

haha...well I'm more than willing to give a few years for THAT! haha.
---Formerly known as ---DjBj---. changed names for lots of reasons.
BooT-SectoR-ViruZ is the new Skaven and the whole world'z goin' to Hell.
Lowpass filter! Perform a generic type of dodge!!! :lol:
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

Matt Hartman

I knew Sam was actually the wizard from OZ.  :D

Sam, you'd think with all those interesting and expensive gadgets you could spring for the ergonomic chair. A buckskin on a fold-out makes me envision one dude with a monster backache.   :D

Not that I can say much, I purchased a metal fold out myself, but instead I go totally bare back.   :oops:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My setup is pretty straight forward.

A $10 chair.
A $20 composite wood desk. (thank you Wal Mart)
A moderately fast computer. (I've had for about 3 years)
A 22" wide flat screen LCD (just got)
$50 Philips deskstop speaker system (just got)
MODPLUG TRACKER (latest test version) (had since the beginning of time)
Lotz of VSTi's and samples. (I have my sources)

And a sick, inconsolable mind. (thanks Mom)

Coffee helps on occasion. (where would we all be without South America?)

Ive been heavily exposed to music since I was in diapers and I can tell you with all certainty and conviction that the real equipment is what ya got on the inside.
Yeah, sure. Right. Whatever.

Sam_Zen

2 Matt
The only expensive thing is the Synthi, for which I had to pay the loan for years, and I don't consider it a gadget.
The rest of the stuff is second-hand or self-made, so quite cheap.
Those things I already owned before starting with pc-tracking, so why throw them in the bin ? Better add the potentials.
And you're right. The only tool that really counts is the mind.

Pesho_Zmiata

Let's see here.. computer.. brain.. fingers... yeah, that's it. :)

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

Monitor Speakers:
Quote from: "JoJo"ZOMG, my pc is connected to my hifi!
:nuts:

so my monitors are a pair of JVC SP-E37BK with 50 watts each
+ a pair of DELTA 70 standboxes with 70/100 watts that add the bass

Headphones:
i continuosly ruin my headphones twice a year, so i don't buy expensive ones
==> no name product: iON iHP03

Sound Card:
Terratec Phase 88 SE
Soundblaster 16 / AWE 32
Realtek AC97 Audio (onboard)

Sequencer / Keyboard:
OMPT build .48
Trust 3010A Wireless keyboard ;)
E-MU Xboard 49 (although i don't/can't use it at the moment)

Mics:
-Phillips SBC MD110 (quite shitty)
-cheap iON dj mic

Mixer / Pre-amp:
iON iMX02 battle mixer ::)
(trying to buy a Numark EM-260 with kaoss pad)

Other:  
2x direct drive turntables (my scratching skills could use some improvement)
comfortable leather office chair
lots of software + samples
multi platform glass table

PC:
Pentium 805 D - 2,66 GHz Dual Core
1024 DDR Ram - Geforce fx 7600 gt - 17" TFT
plus ca. 700GB of disk space

some pic will follow when i'm in the mood for cleaning or for exposing my addiction to garbage and chaos
:lol:
10 years on ModPlug... f#cking hell...

Soundcloud for B-S-V | Soundcloud for DX4-100 | Bandcamp for B-S-V

Saga Musix

so you want some chaos? i'm also addicted to that! :nuts:

i almost forgot the most important equipment which can partially be seen on the pic: a Donald Duck pen mug and a Carl Barks picture collection (which exists only 2000 times in this world!). And of course some classic pc games :nuts:

And here's my synth, together with 2 pcs (3rd PC is not visible, it's between the 2 visible ones ^^)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

I knew Sam_Zen was way more into this than most of us!!

All hail King Zen!!  :o

--altho i'm sure he enjoyed the opportunity to flaunt his studio before us!! :x

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

@jojo: yeah, looks familiar ^_^

btw: you seem to live at your parents place?

P.S.: updated my list....
10 years on ModPlug... f#cking hell...

Soundcloud for B-S-V | Soundcloud for DX4-100 | Bandcamp for B-S-V