How about having a help file?

Started by LPChip, May 21, 2007, 07:47:13

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

I'd like to add that our wiki is public domain!

I believe that everyone can edit it, so if you feel that it lacks knowledge, feel free to ask on the forum how it works, and add it to the wiki, once you've learned how it works.

I just don't have time to edit the wiki, but a forum reply is much easier to do, as I don't have to pay attention to the whole context.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

maybe there should at least be a help-file with a link to the forums ;)
10 years on ModPlug... f#cking hell...

Soundcloud for B-S-V | Soundcloud for DX4-100 | Bandcamp for B-S-V

Sam_Zen

Nice idea. Support +

I just checked the helpfile on this, and noticed that "Contact / Technical support" still is referring to Olivier, so outdated.
Because of another thread I just have been looking for a free helpfile-editor, but couldn't find any.

(I also discovered "Zola's Quickstart Guide", which seems to be quite old data too)

LPChip

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"
Because of another thread I just have been looking for a free helpfile-editor, but couldn't find any.

Who says that we need a .hlp file to go along?

A helpfile can be written in HTML too.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

the best way to go is IMHO a chm file - a compiled HTML file. Windows Vista can't read HLP files afaik anymore, but it can open CHM files. they can be easily done with Microsoft Html Help Workshop (or whatever it is called, it's f.e. included with Visual Studio 98 ). You basically need some html files for that, the advantage of a compiled package is that it's searchable, it has an page overview, and so on...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

2 Jojo
Sorry, but if I have to use a M$ app for something, I quit, and leave it to others. :)

2 LPChip
Good thinking. In a HTML file also sound and graphics could be embedded.

Saga Musix

There are also non-M$ Editors out there to edit CHM files ;) it's just the most known.
and as CHM consists of HTML files, you can also include  sound and graphics ;)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

Yeah, I guessed there would be other editors as well. Probably even to be found at Sourceforge.
But I just realized, that HTML and CHM, both could be used for an included tutorial, but not as a helpfile strictly spoken,
afaik, because MPT must be able to call it from 'inside' the GUI.

Saga Musix

Both could be possible.
You know, HLP files are outdated since windows 98, you probably know that you can link to a specific topic in the HLP file. That's also possible in CHM files, and as far as i know, the MSDN ("help file" for Visual Studio) also consists of CHM files, and if you press F1 in the IDE, it will link to the correct page. That's even possible with HTML when you use anchords, like help.htm#patterneditor

LPChip

I guess the most optimal solution would be to link these help requests to the right wiki pages.

Saga Musix

but still... not every computer is connected to the internet...

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "LPChip"I guess the most optimal solution would be to link these help requests to the right wiki pages.
As long as the wiki pages are available offline as well - like Jojo wrote, not all have internet connection, and not every one is connected to internet while tracking.

LPChip

Quote from: "Relabsoluness"
Quote from: "LPChip"I guess the most optimal solution would be to link these help requests to the right wiki pages.
As long as the wiki pages are available offline as well - like Jojo wrote, not all have internet connection, and not every one is connected to internet while tracking.

We could copy the html files for offline viewing and include that right?

Sam_Zen

I would certainly do that anyway.
If I'm tracking, I'm offline - If I'm online, I'm not tracking.

Btw : Aren't we getting a bit OT here ? This is supposed to be a technical document, and now we're discussing the howto of a help-file.. :)

LPChip

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"
Btw : Aren't we getting a bit OT here ? This is supposed to be a technical document, and now we're discussing the howto of a help-file.. :)

You're right. I've splitted the topic to a new one, so we can continue this interesting discussion.