[Experimental/Classical] The many faces of Chaos (.mp3)

Started by LPChip, May 31, 2007, 14:57:46

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

I've been playing my piano again.

This time, I wanted to record chaos. You'll hear different musical structures as usual from me, but I really screwed around when it comes to timing and measures. Some times I let a normal measure through so you can get used to it and then BWAHM, get smacked in the face with another one :P

If you want an idea of what you can expect, I'd say: If Sam_Zen and I would be merged somehow, this would be the music you'd get :nuts:

I used a low quality for the encoding of this mp3. I don't think that this will be a too big issue as its just a piano. It does give certain character to the chaos.

If many people want a high quality version, I'll rerender it with a higher quality and replace the file.

Download here: LPChip-The many faces of Chaos
Style: Experimental / Classical / Not Easy Listening :P
Length: 10:03
Filesize: 3,5 mb
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

KrazyKatz

Personally I wouldn't call this chaos. The transitions are very coherent. You can hear that its an improvisation, and a good one at that. You have a tremendous skill at the keyboard so it would be nice to hear a constructed piece using your ideas.
You might want to have a listen to Keith Jarrets solo piano improvisations. You might like him.
Pleasant Listen.

P.S: I dont like the low quality render. There are frequencies that hurt the ear.

Cheers!
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

Sam_Zen

First the technics :
Better remove the ".wav" string in the filename. It can cause confusions.
And KrazyKatz is right, better use at least 44 kHz for the compression. It's not 'just a piano' imo, but pianosounds are
very difficult to handle, because they have extreme dynamics, and the tendency to make things resonate.

Then the work :
It's a nice improvisation with unexpected changes, but due to my obvious reputation :) , I ought to say : - Quite easy listening.
For example, the left hand never leaves the harmonics of the right hand, and vice versa.
And be careful with merging me, maybe I would have used a ringmodulator..  :boogie:
And, as KK said, be careful using the label Chaos. Chaos means random sounds with no structure or form whatsoever.
In fact a very small field in the area of sound-expression.
In the past I noticed among classical skilled persons the misunderstanding that improvisation means : do whatever you like..
But improvisation is a skill apart. Keith Jarret indeed is a good example.

LPChip

Well, you're right about its not being chaos, I guess...

But it definatelly is chaos as far as my music usually goes. :) I'm not really good in going against the standards as I like them most, so this song is really something new for me.

2KK: I only play improvisations really. I can't really read notes nor can I remember how I played a song before. If i try to play an existing song by ear, I make alot of mistakes simply because I'm not used to playing fixed notes.

The best part of improvising is that if I accidentally jump to the wrong key, I can correct it instantly by doing as if it was intended, and no one except for me will know :D

I know that I could train myself to perfect that skill, but playing my keyboard is just a way to relax myself.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

So it stays relaxed, if one leaves the concept 'mistake' behind if an improvisation is played. Things happening in time,
and that's it. It's gone in the air. You can't remove the 'wrong key' after it's played.

But don't see that 'wrong' because of some defined system. It maybe sounds 'wrong', because it wasn't what you had in mind.
As you said, you can 'mask' this in a certain way. But don't see it as a 'correction' but as 'playing' with it.
If you do so, you can also see things from a different perspective with more room.

For example, one can not only do the mask trick with the right hand to make it stick to the current chord, but one also has the choice to stay right with the 'wrong' key, and adjust the basic chord with the left hand.

LPChip

And that is what I do sometimes :)

But we shouldn't forget that experimental is not at all my genre. I don't really like it and because of that, I can't really make that kind of music either.

kit beats

I Really like the first 51 second, i was thinkin about a beat behind 8)
"get the piece sounding pristine." - KrazyKats
..Like this one, definatly got the Sam Zen
individuality in it... - Asharin

mrvegas

Very nice all the way through.  Just what I needed at the moment.  I like the way you ended it, too.

LPChip

Quote from: "mrvegas"Very nice all the way through.  Just what I needed at the moment.  I like the way you ended it, too.

:D Hearing that it actually made a purpose really pleases me. :D

Thanks for sharing that info, and I'm glad you liked it :)

residentgrey

This piece feels like being a kid. things keep going in weird and unkown directions but all are infinitely interesting, you can't ignore them. You discover something new that makes your life more fulfilling.

VIVA LA WEIRD!!! :P
No two people are not on fire...AWWW!

Web and Graphic Design just for you!
I r GhostMech on there, forever scouting.

Matt Hartman

Nice composition and attention to articulation/dynamics

LPChip.
Yeah, sure. Right. Whatever.

LPChip

Quote from: "Matt Hartman"Nice composition and attention to articulation/dynamics

LPChip.

aGIANTpupafish

Quote from: "LPChip"I'm not really good in going against the standards as I like them most, so this song is really something new for me.

2KK: I only play improvisations really. I can't really read notes nor can I remember how I played a song before. If i try to play an existing song by ear, I make alot of mistakes simply because I'm not used to playing fixed notes.

The best part of improvising is that if I accidentally jump to the wrong key, I can correct it instantly by doing as if it was intended, and no one except for me will know :D

I know that I could train myself to perfect that skill, but playing my keyboard is just a way to relax myself.

don't knock yourself down LP! u are clearly a skilled pianist, regardless of whether you learnt and know a piano the 'orthodox'.  that's the route i took ( am taking) and this is much better than anything i could improvise.

as far as a compisition goes it is an excellent. you could suggest that in places the time signatures and tempo are 'chaotic' but harmonic wise all seems fairly odd.  my only critism of this winding path to never-never land =P is that maybe you could have had some big chord sections, you have a light floaty feel piece and my personal preferance would be to break that up with some 'harder' louder sections with big chords etc..  but that's just my opinion.
Quote from: "KrazyKatz"Yah, It reminds me of MAD magazine where the farm guys are playing music on a broom with string, a clothes cleaner, a jug until the angry house wife comes and takes all her cleaning stuff.

LPChip

Thanks for the feedback. I have been thinking about how to do this in a more chaotic way, but couldn't find of a way during the play, so I left it out :P

Matt Hartman

Some of the earliest and more skilled musicians of our time were "untrained".

It's kinda like Jesus becoming a Christian.

Never feel less because you don't follow a more traditional path. In fact, if you look at history most great musicians either had no formal training or threw it out the door at some point in their careers. It's great to know but it certainly has it trappings.

Those who usually trench themselves in form, pretty much get stuck there making good for a studio musician rather than one who expresses their own voice freely.

You just keep doing what you're doing LPChip. And give us some more damn it!  :wink:
Yeah, sure. Right. Whatever.