Visual Studio for free?

Started by Saga Musix, May 30, 2007, 14:16:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

hey ppl,
i know that there was this offer of a late visual studio version to download for free. i don't have any details about it, but maybe you (Mpt developers) have - i decided to have a look at C++ myself, coz i wanted to get in touch with the mpt sourcecode, too. so what do i need? I bet my Visual Studio 98 is a bit too old, isn't it? :oops:
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

The Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition doesn't work with the OpenMPT sourcecode.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

oh, so i *would* have to *buy* it?! :shock:
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Quote from: "Jojo"oh, so i *would* have to *buy* it?! :shock:

Visual Studio Express Edition is the free version.

But its basically a way to build .net framwork applications, and it is missing some libraries or so I heard. Anyway, some people tried to compile the code and posted here that it didn't worked for them.

I believe Rewbs and the other programmers are using Visual Studio 2003
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Jojo"hey ppl,
i know that there was this offer of a late visual studio version to download for free. i don't have any details about it, but maybe you (Mpt developers) have
While visiting Visual C++ website(http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/), I've seen banner saying: "Get visual studio 2005 standard edition free", but I don't know what's the catch.

Quote from: "Jojo"i wanted to get in touch with the mpt sourcecode, too. so what do i need? I bet my Visual Studio 98 is a bit too old, isn't it? :oops:
I think the code of v. 1.16 might be compilable with VS98 (== VS6.0 ?), but current code is not(or maybe after some extensive modifications it might be). Current code can be compiled with VS2003 and VS2005.

Quote from: "LPChip"Visual Studio Express Edition is the free version.

But its basically a way to build .net framwork applications, and it is missing some libraries or so I heard.
It works fine for plain C++ as well.

Saga Musix

indeed, VS98 = VS6.0, and that's the only one i have...

bvanoudtshoorn

Hm... You could always try signing up for a computer science degree at university. That way, MS gives you all their software for free. That's how I get all my MS stuff legally and freely. It means that I don't have to give money to the evil empire but can still be above board. =)

Even if you've only got VS6, you should still be able to use it to explore the code - you just won't be able to compile anything. I dunno if that's any use to you or not, though.

Saga Musix

Quote from: "bvanoudtshoorn"Hm... You could always try signing up for a computer science degree at university. That way, MS gives you all their software for free. That's how I get all my MS stuff legally and freely. It means that I don't have to give money to the evil empire but can still be above board. =)
That's how i got my copy of VB6 :lol: But since my brother doesn't study anymore, I'm not able to go for this offer anymore... and i'm still at school...

roncli

Has anyone tried to compile on VS2005 C++ Express with the Platform SDK?  A while back when I was using this, I had to download that to get any Windows C++ apps to compile.  I wouldn't think OpenMPT would be any different.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/usingpsdk/
-roncli

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "roncli"Has anyone tried to compile on VS2005 C++ Express with the Platform SDK?  A while back when I was using this, I had to download that to get any Windows C++ apps to compile.  I wouldn't think OpenMPT would be any different.
Yes, someone has tried; lack of needed MFC files made the try unsuccesfull.