[electroacoustic / d'n'b] Thursday Moaning (MP3)

Started by xincbox, May 18, 2007, 10:26:27

Previous topic - Next topic

xincbox

Hey, been a while since i posted anything here.. hope everyone's good. Finally got round to moving onto Cubase SX this year, but i still use Modplug a lot cos nothing compares!

This is my most recent track, feedback is appreciated! (i'm still a bit shoddy on the mixing/mastering for commercial sound front)

http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=audio&file=Xincbox___Thursday_Moaning.mp3

Sam_Zen

Hi xincbox, good to see you back again.
Never mind the commercial sound front. This is very good. Very personal sounds of the instruments, and I especially enjoyed the change of moods within the song. Sometimes a kind of 'funny' scene, and sometimes a bit gloomy.

LPChip

I also really liked this.

Mixing is indeed something you still need to work on, but that mainly is experience by doing and listening to others.

I can't say much bad things beside the mixing issues on this track, which is a good thing ofcource! :)

Hmm, maybe some of the fills where you use a retrigger can have a bit of work.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

xincbox

thanks for the input guys, there's a slightly better mix up on my myspace.. with the piano sample more prominent in the mix and the bass sorted out a little

QuoteHmm, maybe some of the fills where you use a retrigger can have a bit of work.

not sure what you mean here LP, the fills were just a kickdrum built up with different sweeping EQ filters. Do you mean how they sort of make the beat sound discontinued when i start to use them at the end of every line in the outro?

LPChip

Yeah, thats exactly what I mean. :)

It sounds a bit weird at these places, especially when they happen that much near the end.

But its not perse that the effect is bad, its just that it doesn't seem to fit well in that current setting. Maybe tweaking it slightly, or using a different technique/timeframe can fix it.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

actually, not my favourite style, but not bad at all :!: well done.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

SoundCrafter

Wow...this is long overdue. Gotta say, Xinc, you continue to impress me.

The guitar-esque lead at approx 1:30 was nice. And the break at around 3:08 was sweet. I liked the whole tone of the song after that.

But of course, it would be a Xincbox-song-Soundcrafter-Review if I didn't ask you for some sort of generic lyrics, or at least a clarification. At one point, I thought I heard "He never took drugs with us anyway." Not sure.

NICE PIECE, man!
---Formerly known as ---DjBj---. changed names for lots of reasons.
BooT-SectoR-ViruZ is the new Skaven and the whole world'z goin' to Hell.
Lowpass filter! Perform a generic type of dodge!!! :lol:
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

mrvegas

Lots of fun.  A good combination of dark industrial and a sense of humor -- I think.  I thought it was mixed pretty well, actually.

xincbox

Quote from: "SoundCrafter"But of course, it would be a Xincbox-song-Soundcrafter-Review if I didn't ask you for some sort of generic lyrics

haha :) as always

the sample is of Danny Dyer's character in the film 'Human Traffic' - 'None of us know him but he's gonna take drugs with us anyway'

and my lyrics are 'So who's loaning serotonin? My inhibitions have been readmissioned in time for Thursday moaning'

again, thanks for the positive feedback

SoundCrafter

Haha...I have a whole new appreciation for the song, now. =P.

Interesting movie choice...never heard of it before. when was it released?
---Formerly known as ---DjBj---. changed names for lots of reasons.
BooT-SectoR-ViruZ is the new Skaven and the whole world'z goin' to Hell.
Lowpass filter! Perform a generic type of dodge!!! :lol:
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.