Windows Versus Macintosh

Started by Really Weird Person, April 27, 2007, 04:47:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Which operating system do you prefer?

Windows (by Microsoft)
9 (90%)
Macintosh (by Apple)
1 (10%)
I am computer illiterate, so it would not matter to me.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: April 27, 2007, 04:47:00

Really Weird Person

Which operating system do you prefer?

Saga Musix

Seems like a Really Weird Poll. In fact, someone who owns a PC actually can't really use Macintosh. A person with a mac can't use windows. so you should rather ask which type of computer one has? well... i have a pc and thus, windows :D
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

I agree with Jojo.

I can't work with a single button mouse. Mine has 8 buttons, so go figure :D
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

err... what? do they STILL have single button mice? :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Snu

well, since macs are now intel based, it is possible to run windows on them, or osx on a pc.

regardless tho,  ubuntu linux is my favorite os, with windows xp second.
in fact, the main thing keeping me from using ubuntu as my main desktop os is mpt -_-

KrazyKatz

Err, What do you need 8 mouse buttons for LPchip?
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

LPChip

Quote from: "KrazyKatz"Err, What do you need 8 mouse buttons for LPchip?

Gaming ;)

Lmouse = fire
Rmouse = jump
Mousewheel = press: aim down sight, scroll up = select nades, scroll down=select weapons
mouse 4 = talk to everyone in channel in ts
mouse 5 = talk to staff in ts
mouse 6 = mute/unmute ts
mouse 7 = mute/unmute game volume
mouse 8 = unused atm :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Really Weird Person

That would probably make POP easier to play! Maybe not, too. I am not sure.

Harbinger

It's kind of unfair question. The vast majority of folks accessing this site are pc users (i hafta be the lone exception), since MPT is an .exe. However, i use a mac with PC emulation so i can use programs just like this one -- no huge graphics, easy to use, and a simple user-friendly interface. As a mac user, MPT passes the Macintosh interface standards (there are a couple of interface glitches or dysfunctions, but nothing too bad), but just barely. I'm sure pc users think the interface for MPT is outstanding compared to some of the other "functional" apps that come out for Windows, but if MPT were to somehow be ported to the Mac, the interface would need to be made more... i dunno... "welcoming" and automatic.

Not to say that MPT isn't fine on its own. I'm glad it's out there, but PlayerPro for the Mac outshines MPT. So why don't i use PlayerPro on my Mac natively? Because you hafta BUY IT. How can LPChip put out a convenient and viable application out there for free when there are somewhat "better" apps out there to be bought? Prob'ly because he cares more about giving musicians and composers a real outlet for their talents than trying to turn a buck. Just the principle of the thing makes me want to go buy PC emulation for old mac (no i'm not using this new-fangled and badly mangled OSuX) just so i can access programs like MPT.

So, despite its few flaws, kudos to the creators and developers and continuous supporters of OpenMPT!! :D

Really Weird Person

Hey, Harbinger, I have wondered something for quite some time. I have been wondering what happens if you use Macintosh and Windows based materials together (a Windows Machine with a Macintosh keyboard and/or mouse, a Macintosh machine with a Windows keyboard and/or mouse). Actually, I know how the Macintosh platform works with a Windows-based mouse. It seems to act fine. But what I have mainly wondered is how the Macintosh platform takes a windows based keyboard. For example, is the "Start" key remapped to the "Apple" key? Is the "Alt" key remapped to the "Option" (which is actually still Alt) key? Do the secondary number pad functions (1 = End, 2 = ↓, 3 = Page Down, 4 = ←, 5 = _ (home row indicator for the num pad), 6 = →, 7 = Home, 8 = ↑, 9 = Page Up, 0 = Insert, and period/decimal = Delete) work at all? What does the u in OSuX mean?
I guess that in your case it would be like this:

Help remapped to Insert?
Alt/Option remapped to Alt?
Apple remapped to Start?
Numpad remapped to Windows num pad (with 1 - Num Lock being End, 2 - Num Lock being the down arrow (↓), 3 - Num Lock being Page Down...)
Are you using Virtual PC? I have Virtual PC 2007 for my Windows machine and it is great! How is the Macintosh version? Is is really different from the version for Windows? Probably not. Probably the only main difference would be the shortcuts being Apple-x (x being the key following Apple such as Apple-Q for quit). Perhaps it might even be Right Apple. I know that in the Windows version, the command for close is Right Alt-F4.

LPChip

Quote from: "Harbinger"How can LPChip put out a convenient and viable application out there for free when there are somewhat "better" apps out there to be bought? Prob'ly because he cares more about giving musicians and composers a real outlet for their talents than trying to turn a buck.

I'm honoured, but it actually wasn't my call.

Olivier Lapique, the original author has always developed modplug for free, and at a certain point when he didn't had time anymore, he was willing to release the sourcecode as open source. Its only natural to keep supporting OpenMPT for free to give back what we got in the past.

Even though the interface could be considdered outdated, its really the ease of use that it gives which makes producing alot easier than using a fancy look.

Sure, It wouldn't hurt if it would look a bit more hi-tech, but I'm not really bothered by it. I'd rather have this GUI and being able to use it with this much ease, than turning it into an advanced looking GUI like renoise etc, and getting lost in the interface.

Harbinger

Quote from: "Really Weird Person"
Are you using Virtual PC? I have Virtual PC 2007 for my Windows machine and it is great! How is the Macintosh version?

When the choice came between buying a used Wintel machine and trying to locate a used copy of Virtual PC, i didn't have the money or space for ANOTHER computer. So i found an older version of Virtual PC for my older Mac OS and it was a worthy investment. The only problem -- which is a BIG problem -- is that my speed is cut in half, and since i'm using an older PowerMac G3 with 267 mHz, using VPC leaves me with 133!

Fortunately there is a setting in OpenMPT for reducing the polyphony and therefore the required speed needed to process tracks. This has the added benefit of allowing my slower machine to use VSTeffects. I'm usually not playing more than 10 or 12 samples/notes at a time, so it's no problem. However, i have found that some VSTeffects "bleed" notes over, causing these notes/samples to overlap, which in turn increases polyphony. Then my slow machine chops the sound to what it can process and i can't audition what i've done. The only recourse is to turn off the effects, mute the track in question, or record the whole song into a different format (like .wav).

Edit by mod: fixed quote.

SoundCrafter

Windows:
    Pros: MPT
            Really nice machines
            Reason 3
    Cons: VISTA
             Dumbass OEM technicians
            Fruity Loops =P      
Macs:
    Pros: Logic Pro
             Reason 3
    Cons: Annoying commericals

Macs win. Nuff said.

...even though I don't have one. RIGHT, LP?!?!? :evil:  

lol.
---Formerly known as ---DjBj---. changed names for lots of reasons.
BooT-SectoR-ViruZ is the new Skaven and the whole world'z goin' to Hell.
Lowpass filter! Perform a generic type of dodge!!! :lol:
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

LPChip

Quote from: "SoundCrafter"

...even though I don't have one. RIGHT, LP?!?!? :evil:  

lol.

HAHAHAHAHA OMG you still remember :nuts:

SoundCrafter

Of course haha!  :P

Oh yeah,  you didn't see this...I meant to PM it to you, but this was me: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AjEbKKsnyZtX3wq0ornQPMIjzKIX?qid=20070228142949AAhdi8i
---Formerly known as ---DjBj---. changed names for lots of reasons.
BooT-SectoR-ViruZ is the new Skaven and the whole world'z goin' to Hell.
Lowpass filter! Perform a generic type of dodge!!! :lol:
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.