Non-music related. IP Address Blocking Question.

Started by KrazyKatz, April 25, 2007, 18:31:37

Previous topic - Next topic

KrazyKatz

I just changed my ISP and I logged onto filmtracks.com. I view this site regularly but after the change I saw it was blocking me, (403 Error) giving a list of possible reasons. The only one which might relate to me is:

"Your specific IP may have been used for spamming. The port you are using to access the Internet has been used at some point to pound on Filmtracks.com's server or post useless advertisements. "

Now I personally have never done that. But is it possible that since I've changed servers, they've given me an IP that was previously used by a spammer? I dont know much about how IPs work.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

LPChip

Yes.

If you change ISP, it is most likelly that you have a dynamic IP adress. This means that whenever you are connecting to their network, you get a new IP.

If someone previously used that IP to spam there, its most likelly the case that it has been banned.

Since many ISP's use dynamic IP adresses, I do not ban ip's on the first encounter, but always on the 2nd. That way, I can be certain that a spammer is using that static IP adress.

If you do have a static ip adress I would advice to contact them.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs