1.17.02.28 Importing midi tracks won't load all sounds

Started by Plugitup, April 11, 2007, 17:06:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Plugitup

Full Version:
OpenMPT v1.17.02.28

Description of the bug:
Doesn't seem to be playing all of the midi tracks.

How often does it happen?:
Most midi files I've tried so far.

How to reproduce (step by step description):
I play them with Windows Media player and here the extra sounds I'm
missing with OpenMPT.

Saga Musix

MIDI support is indeed very poor in MPT. You could try out the MID2XM utlity by un4seen. Grab it
But in fact, what's the point of importing MIDIs? I never understood this...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

Plugitup

I have a lot of older midi files, and I wanted to convert some of them to the .WAV format.  Hopefully the maintainers of modplug tracker can take care of this problem.  Even though it is an older file format. By the way, Jojo, the program you mentioned doesn't work at all.  The interface looks like an old windows 3.1 program.

Snu

midi is an entirely different kind of file format than mod, and is therefore quite difficult to convert directly.
regardless tho, if you want to record your midi files, importing them into modplug is a sloppy solution even if it did a good job of the import.
a much better solution would be to get timidity ( http://timidity.sourceforge.net/ ) and a high quality soundfont. for general midi tracks id suggest bennetng's "AnotherGS SoundFont". its very well balanced, and has pretty high quality instrument samples.
of course, if you have a nice soundcard you could just load the soundfont, play the midi and record it :p

Saga Musix

yes, the program is a bit complicated to use, and i only tested it with win98...

Solutions that are possible:
- buy a soundcard that can handle SoundFonts, like the SoundBlaster series. This is a nice solution coz you can download many soundfonts for free. record the sound output.
- if you have a synthesizer or midi keyboard, you can connect it to the pc via MIDI cable, select default MIDI device to Midi OUT (330), connect the synth / keyboard output to the pc input and record what your synth / keyboard plays (that's what i do sometimes, coz my yamaha CS1x sounds great :) )
- there is no 3rd solution.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Jojo"MIDI support is indeed very poor in MPT.
Maybe so, but at least what I've tested, many imported mid-files play 'almost' as good in OMPT as in real midi players (maybe I'll provide a sample of this later if I get more motivated :) )

LPChip

Quote from: "Plugitup"I have a lot of older midi files, and I wanted to convert some of them to the .WAV format.  Hopefully the maintainers of modplug tracker can take care of this problem.  Even though it is an older file format. By the way, Jojo, the program you mentioned doesn't work at all.  The interface looks like an old windows 3.1 program.

If you only want to convert to wav, I advice an entirelly different approach.

See, OpenMPT is best if you only want to have the notes of a midi file, so you can work on your own song with some of the notes.

You basically want the midi file in a wave or mp3 file so it sounds the same.

I recommend therefor, to download XMPlay, and if its not present, download the in_midi from nullsoft (winamp) from their input plugins on their site.

It will allow you to play the midifile through XMPlay. The winamp midi plugin even allows you to load in SF2 or DLS banks so you can make them sound even better. (or ofcource through your soundcard)

Once you have the sound you're after, you can use the wav writer sound device to make wave files of them, which you can convert to any other streamed format (like mp3, ogg, flac, aac, etc) at a later stage.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

rewbs

Plugitup, if you still want this bug addressed you should provide a testcase.
It should consist of:
1. A midi file.
2. The expected output.
3. The obtained output on the most recent build of OpenMPT.

Plugitup

Sorry for the very late response, forgot that I posted something here :? .  Give me a few days to gather up an example and I'll post it.

Plugitup

I have the midi file example, but don't know how to upload it to this forum.

rewbs

You can't, you need to upload elsewhere and post a link.

Plugitup

Okay, I have found the example file.
http://users.egl.net/talktomatt/BAID5.MID
Using: Open Modplug Tracker version 1.17.02.28 (1.17RC2)

LPChip

Since we're now at OpenMPT 02.54, can you confirm this behavor in the latest build?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Midi support is still rather poor. I can tell you that. :P