[Trance] High Seas (mp3)

Started by tvdude, April 04, 2007, 23:00:42

Previous topic - Next topic

tvdude

Hello Everyone.  Here is a new track from me called High Seas.  I like this one quite a bit.  It was created in ModPlug, and mostly mastered in Modplug.  Here are some technical details:  Modplug global volume set to 128, sample and vst instrument volume set to 100, sound card at 33 percent.  Drums and some other instruments have some compression on them, plus the whole track is compressed, and equalized with a 31 band eq vst, all within Modplug.  Final tweaking of frequencies and Master compression was done in Free Leons Simple Audio Mastering program.  Conversion from wave to mp3 was done in Audacity.  Unfortunately, I live in an apartment, and had to master it with headphones (gasp!!! NOOOO!!!).  Please give me some feedback on the technical quality of this piece.  It seems no matter what I do, I can't get my music as loud as anyone else on any other site like myspace, or 7161.com.  I don't really know what else to do, I am compressed as loud as I can get it.  When I compare my volume levels to music on modplug, I'm right around average.  Any Ideas of what is going on?  Also...do you like the piece?

Here is the link:

http://www.7161.com/users/streamer.cfm?filename_audio=DT_ACF126C6137000.mp3&dt_track_id=14205

Hope to hear some feedback!

Thanks!
tvdude
aka: The PS PROJECT
tvdude
"If you look ten feet into a five foot well, you will see what you choose to see."

Sam_Zen

OT :
Maybe I commented before on this, but I consider a link to a .m3u file as a link for streaming purposes, not for a plain download.
So, for my own convenience, I did rename "DT_ACF126C6137000.mp3" into "high_seas.mp3" afterwards.

This is excellent. First I heared a start with quite traditional elements, but then it started getting more 'massive' from 2:30, with a nice buildup along points at 2:50 and 4:00. Then a cleverly placed 'horizontal' plateau from 4:27, ending up in even higher waves.
So I enjoyed the envelope of the song.

tvdude

Hey Sam!  Thanks for the response.  I took notice of your comments on my previous submission and panned the percussion a bit more in this piece.  I believe this is a download link to the song:
http://213.129.73.14/members/my_tracks/audio/DT_ACF12A69020580.mp3  
I'm not really sure if it is or not, it still looks like a stream to me.

Also, I had to re-upload the song, as there was a very unnoticable (except to me) hitch in the song when I recorded it to wave, so I fixed it and posted it to the same location.  All of the mastering is the same, so no one should notice a difference between the first posting and this one.  In case anyone is interested here are two sites to learn more about my music:
www.thepsproject.com
www.7161.com/~the_ps_project
tvdude
"If you look ten feet into a five foot well, you will see what you choose to see."

Sam_Zen

To be honest, I had a hinch of a hitch somewhere in the middle part while listening, but couldn't find it back so quickly.

QuoteI'm not really sure if it is or not, it still looks like a stream to me.
Of course it still can be used for streaming, but the difference is : Now, one has a choice..
A left click to let the browser handle the playing directly, or a right click to choose 'save link as..'.
(This, apart from my personal browser-settings, to save certain formats on the HD anyway, instead of instant play.)

My routine to first download the music-file on my system, before playing it back, has some reasons.
First a practical thing, because my pc is old and slow in the meantime, so I avoid heavy net-traffic, causing stutter.
But the main reason is archiving. I collect the works of a selected group of authors, regulars on this forum, of which I think they make quality. No matter the genre.
I wanted to build this archive for educational purposes, so I can explain to e.g. kids the wide range of possibilities in the world of tracking. With better examples than only my own crap.