Clip indicator.

Started by KrazyKatz, March 29, 2007, 14:43:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

QuoteIf it would be a clip indicator switch as you're asking, it wouldn't need -1 to 1 range, but only a simple boolean.
I didn't say it _is_ the clip indicator. But it remedies clipping and that's what's necessary to program a clip indicator. The macros is only used in the pitch shifter though, so it's actually of no use.
And we aren't talking about volts here. Using float values between -1 and +1 for audio processing has been quite common for more than a decade now. ;P
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Yes, but the v could be volts.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

.... :P

actually, clipping removal seems to be done in asm functions and i don't really know asm, so... well... :?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Oh, just push AH over there, and see if that interupts 21 :P
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

le_parasite

Quote from: "psishock"There are many free FFT spectrum analyzer VST-s that will do the job perfectly allready. Every instrument or plugin can be linked to them (put it in the FX100 slot and link every instrument or plugin to them, or just apply "master" in mix settings) so they will always measure db (plus the frequency range) even if only one channel is enabled or all of them at a moment.
Clipping, frequency ranges, db, volume changes and all the similar things can be monitored with one splendid VST.

the same for me, I had some vsts which do a perfect job there.
L∑ PДRДSiT∑______________________________________
I ғᴀᴄᴇʙᴏᴏᴋ I ᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ I sᴏᴜɴᴅᴄʟᴏᴜᴅ I ʙᴀɴᴅᴄᴀᴍᴘ

psishock

Quote from: "le_parasite"the same for me, I had some vsts which do a perfect job there.
:gjob: i didn't wanted to pollute more this topic with my opinions, but as i've said, simple free stereo vu-meter plugin with indicator would solve the problem, perhaps more efficiently that any future implemented ompt method, and it will also stay on top, no matter what tab do you open. ::) Plugin support is a huge improvement in ompt lifeline, i advise everyone to use that feature. :)
Its like Firefox or XMplay... or Total Commander, they are fine and working without it, but the juice is coming with the plugins. :lol:
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

bvanoudtshoorn

Well, perhaps what we *really* want, then, is the ability to have GLOBAL plugins, that are applied to EVERY song. We could then remove the EQ and other effects in the system, and always have nice VUs/Spectrum Analysers/EQs to play with. Hidden by default, accessible from the toolbar.

psishock

Quote from: "bvanoudtshoorn"Well, perhaps what we *really* want, then, is the ability to have GLOBAL plugins, that are applied to EVERY song. We could then remove the EQ and other effects in the system, and always have nice VUs/Spectrum Analysers/EQs to play with. Hidden by default, accessible from the toolbar.
That hit the spot, sounds very promising! I could live with something like these.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

LPChip

I couldn't :P

But the reason is very simple. If you add effects support like these as a client-side only feature, people might start adding plugins at the wrong side of their song making it harder to troubleshoot. The same thing, I already see happening with the 5 band EQ that is present already. People actually tweak that for their song and then start complaining that they loose that setting when saving the song as in: its not loaded back when loading a song.

For me: the less settings you can tweak on the client-side, the more you are forced to do it for the song, thus the less problem sensitive it becomes. Only thing I would use a better buildin EQ for, is to compensate the bad quality of certain soundcards by boosting the frequencies on my laptop that my high-end pc has so I can match the same sound. Other than that, the less you can tweak client-side, the less your song will be dependend on it.

Another example of this is what used to be the pre-amp value. Not only was it yet another volume button, it actually was one on the client-side, which got alot of commotion just because of that.

So I would suggest: Replace the EQ for a better one, add a checkbox that says: enable, and disable it by default. When you then enable it, toggle a message that says the following:

"Warning: this setting is client-side only and it doesn't get saved whitin a song. Therefor, other people won't hear the tweaking you do with this EQ. Its recommended to use a plugin EQ on your song and check the master if you want others to hear the EQ changes when they listen to your song. Ontop of that, this setting is global, meaning that it will be the same for each song. Use this setting only to compensate for missing frequencies by your soundcard. Do you still wish to enable the EQ? [Yes] [No]"

Saga Musix

i could add such a messagebox. or rather, add it as a notice below the EQ area.

Saga Musix

LPChip

Yeah :) Very good. Now if that EQ had more bands... :nuts:

Saga Musix

it's enough bands for compensating. :P

LPChip

I disagree. 3 more would work wonders. 2 on the lowest band and 1 on the end.

bvanoudtshoorn

Um, I don't want to sound like a pedant, but if this is going to go through, perhaps we should clean up the grammar and syntax a little bit, and perhaps make it a little bit more... illuminating. :) Something like:

"Warning: This EQ is applied to any and all of the modules that you load in OpenMPT; its settings are stored globally, rather than in each file. This means that you should avoid using it as part of your production process, and instead only use it to correct deficiencies in your audio hardware."

Hmm, that reminds me... I've been meaning to go through everything in OpenMPT and give them a quick dust with my editorial brush. :)