[Orchestral] AT1 Orchestral (.mp3)

Started by Pesho_Zmiata, March 05, 2007, 12:46:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Pesho_Zmiata

Hey folks! I haven't posted much here in awhile so i thought i'd show off some of my newer music.

http://www.oocities.com/peshozmiata/AT1Orch2.mp3

It's an orchestral track i started making for a game called AssaultTech1:BT (basically a Battletech game). I hope it sounds more professional than the last ones i posted ::)

And also, there's a few seconds of silence before it begins so don't start blaming your internet connection just yet :)

Sam_Zen

I often find it quite difficult to review a piece made for a professional game. Because it differs from just a musical composition with head and tail, etc. As with this one for example, the end of the track has a drastic cut, I guess to be able to use it in a repeat.
I think tracks like this are not made to be on the next CD-album, so they demand a different approach. Not as a song, but more as a design for a theme.
Since this is about a battle, I think this is a perfect atmosphere for the scene right before the actual battle starts.
It also reminds me of a piece of the Electric Light Orchestra.

Pesho_Zmiata

Thanks for the feedback! You spotted the main aspects of it, i'm impressed. The goal was exactly to set a theme for combat rather than a "standalone" type of composition. The drastic cut is there for nothing other than my procrastination and the fact that i can never think of how to make a track end without too many repetitions...

Sam_Zen

I had to look up what procrastination means :), so I understand the issue in this.
There are all kinds of methods and tricks to end a track, often quite stereotype. Like repeating the last pattern with a fading out volume.
Or the jazz-model : repeat the theme introduced in the beginning, then close. Or pick a certain pattern, make duplicates and in each copy mute some channels, until the thing is empty. Or add an unusual sound like with an existing sample in a very low octave range.

The queste about how to end a piece often can be answered not by adding something new, but by using the material already available.
In this case the song starts with two times an isolated strophe. This can be added as an indication of the end of the song as well.
The real flow starts at 07.627. This can be assigned as a cue point to jump back from the end, to double the length.
I really think, you should work this out. Because, for example in the middle part, you introduce some new sounds, but nothing more than that (from 38 sec). A pity. The same with the nice horn sound added at 1:19.
The actual introduction of the end starts at 1:01. Before that there are change points at 38.340 and 46 sec. Parts of the song that could be repeated in the middle section. I did some experiments with this (of course the loops are raw, because I don't have the module material available). I gave you the result

Pesho_Zmiata

Hey, thanks alot for all the help! :)  I had no idea it could be bloated to 3:04... One or two new patterns might not hurt, but the structure you used is great to use. Usually i end up doing new good patterns within a week or two, but i can never decide when it is appropriate to start leading towards the end, or how many repetitions are appropriate.

KrazyKatz

Very nice! I look forward to the completed version.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

aGIANTpupafish

Nice job.  When its finished I suppose as a proper piece rather than a looped theme it will be excellent but as it is it has a very war-like feel.

:D
Quote from: "KrazyKatz"Yah, It reminds me of MAD magazine where the farm guys are playing music on a broom with string, a clothes cleaner, a jug until the angry house wife comes and takes all her cleaning stuff.

Pesho_Zmiata

The inspiration will come... any minute now.... i think :lol:

HvitRavn

Hi! Can your provide some details on this arrangement? VSTi's and such? I like the timbre :)

Edit: not just the timbre, the whole tune, I really like it :)

Pesho_Zmiata

Lets see now... 63 rows, 125 bpm at 6rows/tick (the default modplug setting) The base is a short Cello section that repeats throughout the entire song (twice per pattern), combined with a pad that consists of two instruments - synth pad and slow violin. For the VSTi arrangement its mostly Roland's Edirol Orchestral VST (i strongly recommend it).

mrvegas

I liked the sound and the song -- too short, though.  The horn calls at the end were interesting.  The song ends just when it's really getting going.  I know, though, that you wrote it for a specific purpose.

I was also interested in the software used.  The sound is great.  How much does the Edirol software run?

Pesho_Zmiata

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/252.html- 385$  :?

KrazyKatz already helped me with some ideas about the rest of it :wink:

KrazyKatz

I got it for $200

http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=8951&Category=Software

Keep in mind the competition at the same price range,

EWQLSO Silver Edition
Garritan Personal Orchestra

Ive tried them all so if you want more info, just ask.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

mrvegas

Thanks for the  information.  I've generally just used samples for orchestral style sounds, but now I'm trying to get something with a little better quality that's not hugely expensive.