Looking for a USB piano

Started by LPChip, March 01, 2007, 16:14:13

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

Actually, I'm not looking, cus I already found one...

But it is so nice that I have to share it with y'all.

If there are people here that know startrek, and then in particular startrek the next generation, then they probably have seen an episode where picard was playing his little flute together with a girl that had this roll-up piano.

Back then I was like: hah, thats not possible, but I secretly wish it was...

Well appearantly other people have been thinking the same and as result, look at this:

http://www.redferret.net/?p=7588

USB Roll-up Piano. Wait, wait, don?t leave. It?s USB. Yes, you need to carry your computer around with you as well. Isn?t that fab? A super portable fold up piano that needs a hulking great computer in order to work. Marketing genius I tell you! 49 keys, 128 instruments, 100 pre-recorded rhythms. Boogie. $46.00.

USB Roll-Up Piano which is a perfect USB gadget for those who want to have a quick play of a piano on the go. It is so compact in size after rolled up and portable that for you to carry along and perfectly fit in your backpack or briefcase. You are now able to take the USB Roll-Up Piano along with you for any occasion! Everyone enjoys singing together or playing music with USB Roll-Up Piano.

DAAMN!!! :D
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

KrazyKatz

I played one of these at a toy shop. Although I think the one I played was more of a novelty... not sure if it was USB. The main issue is its absolute lack of velocity sensitivity... still its a nifty idea. Ive even seen roll up P.C keyboards.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

LPChip

Yeah, thats expected, but even though... It would be cool to use with a couple of VSTi's :D

Look guys, here I am with my laptop and roll-up piano! :D That would be real pwnage :D
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

SoundCrafter

Quote from: "LPChip"Yeah, thats expected, but even though... It would be cool to use with a couple of VSTi's :D

Look guys, here I am with my laptop and roll-up piano! :D That would be real pwnage :D

No joke. Although wait, it's got 128 instruments and still needs a comp?

:P
---Formerly known as ---DjBj---. changed names for lots of reasons.
BooT-SectoR-ViruZ is the new Skaven and the whole world'z goin' to Hell.
Lowpass filter! Perform a generic type of dodge!!! :lol:
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

LPChip

Quote from: "SoundCrafter"
Quote from: "LPChip"Yeah, thats expected, but even though... It would be cool to use with a couple of VSTi's :D

No joke. Although wait, it's got 128 instruments and still needs a comp?

:P

Needs is a big word... there's a piano version that is stand alone with buildin speakers too, but heh... why would you want that? :P the only advantage these devices have is their movability. Its handy for with your or anyone's computer, but as a standalone device, it probably doesn't weight up to a normal keyboard, due to its limitations.

SoundCrafter

I see. that WOULD be a wick'd sweet MIDI controller though.
---Formerly known as ---DjBj---. changed names for lots of reasons.
BooT-SectoR-ViruZ is the new Skaven and the whole world'z goin' to Hell.
Lowpass filter! Perform a generic type of dodge!!! :lol:
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

Violette

LPChip, is it touch-sensitive? Thanks.

Edited: never mind, that's already been answered.

Snu

it would be amazing to create a completely flat, flexible, touch sensetive keyboard... i have given this considerable thought... and it should be possible to make.... using a combination of the method used for this device (which appears to be two plastic sheets with metal printed on them - when pressed together the metal connects), and combining that with peizo film (a flexible material that generates an electric feedback based on the amount of kinetic energy applied to it - the non-flexible counterpart is often used for pickups on musical instruments, and more commonly, as a small flat speaker).
the peizo film would handle the velocity, and the printed metal connectors would handle note on/off.

i actually have a (broken, not by me tho) one of those keyboards (non-usb version) to modify at some point...
unfortunately, peizo film is rather expensive, and i would have to figure out all the electronics (not my forte really, hoping to get someone to help out with that part).

LPChip

I actually bought one myself a week ago, but its really just a fancy toy... :P

The only fun part is that you can roll it up and carry it with you and make fun of it that way, but when it comes to playing on it, its just too "unhandy" and service dependend. You'll have to hit quite hard on the keys in order to properly trigger them (harder than with a normal piano), and on top of that, I think mine is even broken by default... :(

If I hit the lowest G-1 and the G-4 at the same time, the keyboard goes strange and triggers all kinds of unknown modes. Same applies to other keys like C#, G# and A#... really weird. I have considdered sending it back, but then again, the piano itself is not really worth spending another ? 5 for shipment...

Saga Musix

Quote from: "LPChip"You'll have to hit quite hard on the keys in order to properly trigger them
heh, i thought that it would be just like this when i saw it, and gee, it's true :D

btw snu, you mean piezo, right? :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Snu

Quote from: "Jojo"btw snu, you mean piezo, right? :)
oops, yah, i always forget which way it is