Author Topic: A couple questions regarding midi input  (Read 3833 times)

Offline bucky

  • Shy artist
  • Posts: 4
A couple questions regarding midi input
« on: February 26, 2007, 23:56:18 »
Hey folks, noob here--

I just started messing around with midi input for the first time. I found some good advice in this thread about reducing the time shift issue by adjusting the tempo and row settings to greater values, although I have a couple other questions I didn't see addressed yet (with some quick searching).

Would it be possible to choose samples based on the pitch of the note that the midi triggering device sends? Also, it is possible to record to more than one channel at a time?

The reason I ask, is that I recently bought an electronic drumkit. The different pads register as different notes, but with only one sample selected at a time it doesn't do much good if every pad on the kit sounds like a bass drum. And about recording to multiple channels simultaneously... one channel wouldn't be able to handle more than one thing hitting at the same time.

With getting this kit I'm looking into programs more appropriate to playing around with a virtual kit triggered by midi, but if there is a way to do so in modplug that'd be pretty sweet. I figure any beat I have in mind with amiga/nes/whatever drum samples would be less tedious to perform than sequence with a mouse, if possible. And I love modplug for making videogame-ish sounding stuff.  

Also, I take it its not possible to pre-emptively have the note delay effect triggered while recording midi input? The above advice already offers how to battle the strict timing correction you're likely to encounter, but if it were possible to have note delay recorded as part of the timing, that could allow for a more human feel for midi triggered parts, as well as easier input for timings that don't match the given subdivions of the beat (triplets, duplets, etc).

If the answer to all of the above is no, I can post these in the requests forum.  8)

Offline LPChip

  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Posts: 5,135
    • http://lpchip.nl
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64
Re: A couple questions regarding midi input
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 11:41:56 »
Quote from: "bucky"
Hey folks, noob here--

If you say so :P, but seriously, hi :)

Quote from: "bucky"

I just started messing around with midi input for the first time. I found some good advice in this thread about reducing the time shift issue by adjusting the tempo and row settings to greater values, although I have a couple other questions I didn't see addressed yet (with some quick searching).

Atleast you've took the liberty to search. Thanks for that :)

Quote from: "bucky"

Would it be possible to choose samples based on the pitch of the note that the midi triggering device sends?

Yes. :) In order to do this, you'll have to manually set the samples in the instrument.

It not only allows you to set what pitch the sample has to be played, but also which sample to be played. This way, you can make your own drumkit that can be played on your external drumkit.

Quote from: "bucky"

Also, it is possible to record to more than one channel at a time?

Yes, this is possible too, but not so userfriendly as you might expect. In the pattern editor, right click the channel name (channel 14) and choose "Record select". Do the same on say, channel 15 and both will be used to put notes in. They will however all appear in the most left channel unless you have 2 or more simultaniously played notes to record. If you want it to be looking all good, then you could always record each channel with each sound seperatelly.

Quote from: "bucky"

The reason I ask, is that I recently bought an electronic drumkit. The different pads register as different notes, but with only one sample selected at a time it doesn't do much good if every pad on the kit sounds like a bass drum. And about recording to multiple channels simultaneously... one channel wouldn't be able to handle more than one thing hitting at the same time.

Yeah. I'm not so sure that when recording the sound of all will be played though, but it will certainly record it, if you do as described above. :)

Quote from: "bucky"

With getting this kit I'm looking into programs more appropriate to playing around with a virtual kit triggered by midi, but if there is a way to do so in modplug that'd be pretty sweet. I figure any beat I have in mind with amiga/nes/whatever drum samples would be less tedious to perform than sequence with a mouse, if possible. And I love modplug for making videogame-ish sounding stuff.  

It might be possible to find a better program, but modplug can do most of the stuff in the right way, so you might want to considder yourself if its good enough or not.

Quote from: "bucky"


Also, I take it its not possible to pre-emptively have the note delay effect triggered while recording midi input? The above advice already offers how to battle the strict timing correction you're likely to encounter, but if it were possible to have note delay recorded as part of the timing, that could allow for a more human feel for midi triggered parts, as well as easier input for timings that don't match the given subdivions of the beat (triplets, duplets, etc).


You can enable/disable if note delays are being recorded. In order to have this function, you'll need to have OpenMPT RC2 or later.

Quote from: "bucky"

If the answer to all of the above is no, I can post these in the requests forum.  8)

Actually the answer to all of the above is yes. :D
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Offline Relabsoluness

  • OpenMPT Developers
  • *****
  • Posts: 717
Re: A couple questions regarding midi input
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 01:19:03 »
Quote from: "LPChip"
Quote from: "bucky"
Also, I take it its not possible to pre-emptively have the note delay effect triggered while recording midi input? The above advice already offers how to battle the strict timing correction you're likely to encounter, but if it were possible to have note delay recorded as part of the timing, that could allow for a more human feel for midi triggered parts, as well as easier input for timings that don't match the given subdivions of the beat (triplets, duplets, etc).

You can enable/disable if note delays are being recorded. In order to have this function, you'll need to have OpenMPT RC2 or later.

To elaborate a bit, the note delay recording has been added after RC2 - latest (beta)builds can be found from here.

Offline bucky

  • Shy artist
  • Posts: 4
A couple questions regarding midi input
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 05:12:17 »
Oh, wow. Nice.

Thanks a bunch guys. I'll let you know how it works out for me in the next couple days.  :D